Respected Contributor

Re: I Put Hot Sauage, Peppers & Onions............

Because I'm particular and wanted my sausage perfectly browned all the way around, I used a fry pan and held it with tongs to get every part of it (whole) browned.  Of course, I was makine one sandwich but I'd do the same for several because the browning seemed important for flavor. 

I removed the browned whole sausage then cooked the strips of pepper and onion with garlic and seasoning in the same pan.  When nearly done, I sliced the sausage and added it into the pan of vegetables to finish.  While that was happening, the roll was toasting in the air fryer.

(I should add that I gave the pan a slight spray of olive oil and forked the sausage so it would release some fat. I'm avoiding fat intake and blotted the filled sandwich with a paper towel to draw out excess.)

I still dirtied only one pan, easy clean up.  Whenever I make this again, I'd like to try air frying all of it and see how it browns up that way -- but then slicing it up and mixing it back in with the vegetables would be more of a hassle, a larger appliance to clean, so nevermind.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Did you leave the sausage whole or slice it?

If you left it whole by the time it was cooked wouldn't the peppers and onions be mushy?

Was this a question about my Crockpot recipe?  If so, I cook the sausages whole.  I find the vegetables to be only softened, not mushy after a couple hours.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 How could I forget the fresh lemonade? LOVE!!!

There is nothing like "boardwalk food". Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 

Saw this in my facebook feed and thought of you. Happy Spring!May be an image of standing and outdoors

Honored Contributor

ty and when I watch or see the Flyers games I think of you & beautiful Philadelphia (which I lived near).🙂🙂🙂🙂

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I'm originally from NJ, I do remember those sandwiches as a kid when my Mom took me to a flea market place. Then when I was of driving age, those sandwiches smelled so good when I was down the shore on the boardwalk.

I still make them for us and I must say, they are still one of my favorites along with a slice of Jersey tomato, arugala & mozzarella sandwich on a roll. Yum