Valued Contributor

This thread took me down memory lane and put a smile on my face. When I was growing up money was very scarce but for special occasions my mom would buy 2 packages of the Jiffy cake mix and make cupcakes. When they were cooled she turned them upside down and frosted a third with homemade pink frosting, a third with dark chocolate frosting and a third with white buttercream and a sprinkle of coconut. They looked so pretty, like mini cakes, which she displayed on a fancy plate she got at a garage sale. We felt like the richest people in the world!

Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Never tried their cake mixes, but I hate the cornbread mix.  My ex used to make that all the time.  Cornbread should not be sweet and it's quite easy to make from scratch.

@Icegoddess Who, other than you, says that cornbread should not be sweet??  I've never heard that rule before. 

Other than my deceased Mother's cornbread, it's the best I've had.  And you can make so many other recipes using the Jiffy Cornbread mix, that's another thing I like about the mix.

@KatieB @Icegoddess  In many parts of the south sweet cornbread is considered a real abomination. I grew up with absolutely no sugar in cornbread but hushpuppies would be made a little sweet with grated onion. LOL. It seems to be more accepted now but I still prefer mine without sugar and will admit that some with a little sweetness is a pretty good counterpoint to a spicy bowl of chili.

Frequent Contributor

I use Jiffy Cake Mix to make Strawberry Shortcake.  Just right  for an 8X8 pan.

Respected Contributor

@Boomernichols Jiffy corn mix makes great corn muffins.

Frequent Contributor

Just went to their web site to order recipe book and they said they had discontinued the white cake mix and the chocolate muffin mixesi

Honored Contributor

@char1976 wrote:

Just went to their web site to order recipe book and they said they had discontinued the white cake mix and the chocolate muffin mixesi

@char1976 I saw that too!  BUT they still make the yellow cake mix and I wonder if you could leave out the egg yolk?  That's common in scratch cakes.  

Honored Contributor

I associate cornbread with poor people.  Especially back in the day.

In this house, we make cornbread to go with a pot of beans and that's it.  We don't just eat it by itself or with any other meal.  Chili requires crackers.  So that's why we would never put sugar in it. 

Corn muffins are seldom made by us, but they are muffins.  Muffins have sugar in them

Esteemed Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

This thread took me down memory lane and put a smile on my face. When I was growing up money was very scarce but for special occasions my mom would buy 2 packages of the Jiffy cake mix and make cupcakes. When they were cooled she turned them upside down and frosted a third with homemade pink frosting, a third with dark chocolate frosting and a third with white buttercream and a sprinkle of coconut. They looked so pretty, like mini cakes, which she displayed on a fancy plate she got at a garage sale. We felt like the richest people in the world!

What a sweet memory and testimony of your upbringing.  You had a special mom.  She made your world special.  Not everyone had that............I did, and know that I was beyond blessed.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs @Thank you. You are so right. The older I get the more I realize that I had riches beyond measure. I can still see my young parents holding hands with smiles on their faces and tears in their eyes as we kids squealed with delight over the gifts Santa left; a doll my mother got by sending in cereal box tops and hid away until Christmas, the  “new” bicycles my father got off the junk man’s truck and painted and refurbished for us and the scarves and mittens she knitted for us in our favorite colors. With all the materialism out there, few children receive that kind of love.

Frequent Contributor

FYI.    Jiffy is a Michigan product.  Headquarters and factory in Chelsea Mi.