Honored Contributor

Re: I Hand-Wash All My Dishes . . .Anyone Else?

[ Edited ]

Mine go in the dishwasher.  I only handwash my nonstick pans. 

The water in my dishwasher gets way hotter than I would ever get it in the sink hand washing my dishes.  It has also been shown that a dishwasher uses less water than hand washing does.

There is just DH and me as well but usually within 2 days I have a full dishwasher and if not, I run it with whatever is in it.  I literally will be angry in the morning if I come downstairs and there are dishes in the sink.  It just sets me off.  LOL

The only time I hand wash is when we are camping because my camper doesn't have a dishwasher.  We try to use paper plates but for most dinners, we use melamine plates.  I never feel like they are getting completely washed since I'm doing them by hand.   

Honored Contributor

Two people in our household. We run the dishwasher every evening. We rinse the dishes first ( I don't care what anyone says about that) Smiley Happy. It there is room, we are now even putting our nonstick pans in. They come out fine with no damage. Same with SS.

Since I use LemiShine in addition to detergent, we do handwash our SS flatware, just out of an abundance of caution.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I hand wash also.  I takes me all of 5 minutes to do the dishes after a meal.

Years ago - in one of our homes, we had a dishwasher that I rarely used.  

Now I live in a post-WWII apartment building - galley kichen (which I love) and no dishwasher.    

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot imagine my life without a dishwasher (clutch the pearls😲), but hand wash dishes when there is only a few in the sink.😁

~~~All we ned is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

We have a dishwasher in both our southern and northern home.  I use both of them for storage.  I hand wash our dishes.....it is quicker.  

I keep telling DH that I want to pull them out and put in "beverage coolers", if you get my drift. Woman Wink  At least they would get used.  Woman Very Happy

BTW  if you have a dishwasher and don't use it, there is a chance the hoses will dry up and get brittle.  Just a heads up if you decide to use yours and it has been awhile since you have.  Running it once in awhile can help to avoid that.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I put all of our dishes, cutlery and glassware into our dishwasher.   I do hand wash our wine glasses and knives.  

I've gotten rid of most of my plastic containers and have replaced them with glass.  So now I'm able to put them in the dishwasher.   

I do still hand wash my pots and pans but since there's only two of us there's not many of them to wash up after dinner.  

Honored Contributor

That's what we do. We have not used it for years. DH even unhooked it. LOL!!! When we remodel we won't have one at all in our kitchen. Wish we had already remodeled. With Covid it's on hold. Can't have people working in our house than get sick & have to be without the kitchen? We may have to do it ourselves.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Oh yes.  I like ironing too.  Wouldn't say I like doing dishes, but I can do that faster than loading and unloading a dishwasher.  

@qualitygal 

I am a person that loves to Iron my clothes.

I now use my dishwasher, but when I use to wash them by hand. I thought the same thing. It' just so much easier to hand wash them, then to load the dishwasher, and unload the next day.

Sigh... First world problems right.

Honored Contributor

I don't hand-wash everything, but there ARE dishes, etc, that I do wash every day.  I keep a small dish drainer on the counter with a thing underneath that drains into the sink (Rubbermaid).

I probably run the dishwasher once a month or less.  There are just a lot of things that I have in nearly constant, or totally constant, use, so washing them by hand, when empty, is necessary so I can fill them back up soon.  

Plus, of course, I wouldn't put my knives, wood utensils,  or pots and pans in the dishwasher.  Additionally, I have a few Tupperware items that are not the old stuff that was made much better that I've learned need to be hand-washed.  I had a couple of these small-ish (like tall narrow 12oz) TW plastic glasses that I use for my protein drink that I was putting in top shelf and some of them either cracked or just flat blew up in the top shelf of the dishwasher.  There are pieces I never even found.   So I wash one of those each day as I use it.   I also hand-wash my larger Lock & Lock containers and seals because they would take up an unreasonable amount of space in the top shelf of the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

I have washed dishes by hand for 60 years, and still have no interest in putting a dishwasher in my kitchen.