Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Hand-Wash All My Dishes . . .Anyone Else?

Ok, I'll ask. For those like my Mom who wash their dishes in hot soapy water. rinse them and then put them in the machine that will just re-wash them. 

Why?  Mom never gave me her answer.  It always seemed like a waste of water and dish washing liquid.

I once asked her if she was going to take her clothes to the river and beat them on a rock before running them though the washing machine.

Honored Contributor

I am a "Clean Nut". I feel dishes are cleaner when washed by a machine. Also we use less water and only run it once a day. There are so many myths about dishwashers.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Regular Contributor

I have never had a dishwasher in my 45 years of marriage. I actually find hand washing dishes very calming. There have been times like large family gatherings when I wished I had a dishwasher but i need cupboard space more and I have no floor space for a portable unit. (I guess they still make the roll up to the sink type)

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not!  Despise hand washing dishes.  We fill up dishwasher and use that.  Hubby does wash pots and pans by hand./

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  .... in my house it is just me and DH.   I hand wash all my pots & pans and good knives.    Everything else gets rinsed and loaded into the dishwasher.   I run it whenever it gets full..... usually once or twice a week.   I love my dishwasher.   

Valued Contributor

I grew up the oldest of 7 siblings. We did not have a dishwasher. I hate washing dishes by hand (as a result). I do wash by hand every now and again but also use the dishwasher at times.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD  ...  I have had to have my dishwasher repaired twice during the past several years.  Had different technicians from two different companies come in.  They both said that even though instructions say not to rinse, you really should. .  My brother doesn't rinse his dishes.  He complains when I am at his  house and rinse before I load his dishwasher.  But he has had a LOT of problems with it.   And all his repair people have also told him he needs to rinse the dishes.  He just doesn't listen.   LOL  

Honored Contributor

Our house has a dishwasher, our cottage does not.  I notice the cottage dishes are not as clean, especially when I get "help" from DH's motorcycle buddies.  And my eyes miss stuff, too.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Meals are prepared and eaten by just my husband and I.  We find it easier to draw a sink of hot, sudsy water to clean up afterward.  We prefer it to using the dishwasher.

I have a small older home, and there is really no room for a dishwasher. I honestly don't mind doing dishes, it's vacuuming I hate. 😏

Get a rhomba, You will love it.

@HLP Do they do a good job on wood floors and along baseboards?  Speaking of floors!  Ha ha!  

Respected Contributor

I only hand wash. When I purchased my home a dishwasher came with the house bought I have never used it.