Honored Contributor

I Hand-Wash All My Dishes . . .Anyone Else?

Meals are prepared and eaten by just my husband and I.  We find it easier to draw a sink of hot, sudsy water to clean up afterward.  We prefer it to using the dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Hand-Wash All My Dishes . . .Anyone Else?

@deepwaterdotter I have been married since 1986 and have washed "every dish" by the 10 finger method to date.  I have a small kitchen and really do not want to sacrifice a few storage areas to install a dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do the same thing.  I see no need is using the dishwasher when I only have dishes for 1 or 2 people.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Meals are prepared and eaten by just my husband and I.  We find it easier to draw a sink of hot, sudsy water to clean up afterward.  We prefer it to using the dishwasher.

I have a small older home, and there is really no room for a dishwasher. I honestly don't mind doing dishes, it's vacuuming I hate. 😏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

No.  There are two of us and no matter how many or how few dishes we use during the day we load the dishwasher as we go and wash it every night--the cycle depends on how many we have and how dirty they are.

In the morning the dishes are clean and dry, we get up and put them up and start over again.  It is wonderful to have a clean sink all day, and then put up the very very clean dishes the next morning.  

The glasses are sparkling and we are ready for a new day and things don't collect in the sink.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   I hand wash my good knives and certain pans but everything else get a quick rinse and in the dishwasher it goes.

My Mom filled the sink, washed the dishes and then put them in the dishwasher. Oy. Drove me crazy. "Mom, just rinse them, it's called a dishwasher because IT washes the dishes."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my dishwasher!  Everything goes into my dishwasher except my good knives and the dog!!  There is only me but with cooking and baking, I run the dishwasher every other day.  Love it, especially now with the virus. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH hand washes the pots & pans. The dishes, cutlery & everyday glasses get rinsed off & put in the dishwasher. I love my dishwasher & would never give it up.

Respected Contributor

Never had a dishwasher & wash all with my 2 hands & don't use paper plates.

Honored Contributor

In what I call my summer apartment, I use the dishwasher for storage.  It's across the room from the sink and it's half the size of the ordinary machines.  That makes it really inconvenient, but since it's there, I use it for a bit of extra storage.  The top racks take my wraps -  plastic, foil, parchment, a stash of garbage bags and in the bottom I stand cookie sheets, small pans, and lids; the silver receptacles hold all sorts of kitchen items I need but only rarely.