Esteemed Contributor

I Don't Like Planning Meals.

I have shelves of cookbooks and the internet (basically the whole world) at my fingertips and am stumped for meals lately.

Not a dang thing sounds good right now. DD is not big on beef except for a steak now and then.  We eat a lot of chicken.  We just had pork chops last week and I did a small pork roast 2 weeks ago.  We've had breakfast for dinner.  We've had had big salads with grilled chicken.  Spaghetti with and without meat.  Chili, check. You get the idea.

I have watched You Tube for ideas until my eyeballs glaze over.

What do you do if you hit a meal plannning wall?

Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Like Planning Meals.

Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice.  Have them a couple of times a week.  Alternatively, a reservation at a local restaurant--LOL!!!   I hate cooking.  Fortunately, DH doesn't mind and does the majority of it.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the same boat right now.  I am waiting for my washing machine to finish and head to the grocery store for tonight's dinner.  I dread meal planning.  My husband likes beef, my daughter and I will eat is occassionally.  I end up making 2 different meals a night.  I try to look for new recipes on line and on YouTube.  It has to be easy and not a lot of ingredients, especially hard to find ingredients, and lately the recipes I've been finding are just too much stuff and complicated.  Sigh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can NOT STAND when the question is asked - What's for dinner?

I am so tired of trying to figure something out. We each have our own different quirks. And I am tired of working around them.

Then when I do spend hours making lasagna. They didn't like the susage so all 9 pounds of it went in the trash.

I made shredded chicken breast, bowtie pasta and cheese casserole. They didn't like it - too much cheese. My husband said next time add spinach and mushrooms. My son does not eat mushrooms.

So now when I am asked - What's for dinner? My reply is - freezer surprise. Some how we have take out for dinner.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make alot of casserole dishes a favorite is chicken enchiladas, instead of rolling the corn tortillas I lay them flat and layer shredded chicken, chopped onions, shredded cheese, sliced olives and continue with the layering.  Lasts us several nights.  My hubby likes tuna noodle casserole that I make from time to time.

Honored Contributor

I don't like cooking or planning either.  I only have a handful of things I rotate through.  Luckily, I only really have to cook once a week which is tomorrow night.  This week I'm thinking salmon.  But then I need to come up with what veggie to pair with it.  I'm not a big veggie eater. He rarely ever eats the leftovers, so those are left to me.

One of MY favorites is Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice w/grilled Kielbasa and cornbread.  I'm happy to eat all those leftovers. 

I really wish the stores would get Marie Callendar's Pub-style Chicken Pot Pies back in.  I hope they haven't discontinued them, but that whole section of pot pies in both Publix and Kroger have been decimated for weeks.  If they don't come back I guess I'll have to go back to KFC pot pies since I don't care for the other ones in the freezer section.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I signed up for Allrecipes emails and receive at least two emails per day with meal suggestions. I keep them handy for when my DD calls me to say she needs ideas for supper. They are often quite good, and I have made several suggested dinners. The other thing I've been doing lately is going back to my much older cookbooks and revisiting recipes I have not made in years. 

Trusted Contributor

I make  5 lbs  taco meat and measure out 1 pound each into  a ziploc freezer bag, pull a bag out for tacos, taco salads, tostadas, bean burrittos, what ever you like. 

It's nice to do batch cooking and always have something to grab when you need it from the freezer, it thaws out by dinner time. 

If your familly likes soup, it freezes good too. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I can NOT STAND when the question is asked - What's for dinner?

I am so tired of trying to figure something out. We each have our own different quirks. And I am tired of working around them.

Then when I do spend hours making lasagna. They didn't like the susage so all 9 pounds of it went in the trash.

I made shredded chicken breast, bowtie pasta and cheese casserole. They didn't like it - too much cheese. My husband said next time add spinach and mushrooms. My son does not eat mushrooms.

So now when I am asked - What's for dinner? My reply is - freezer surprise. Some how we have take out for dinner.

@drizzellla those both sound wonderful.  I like mild Italian sausage in my lasagna and also put it in my spaghetti sauce.  I don't make lasagne anymore since it's just the 2 of us.  Way too many leftovers even if you freeze them.  I would want the mushrooms in the chicken casserole too, but sounds yummy. The spinach I could take or leave.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SoCal Bred  I made tuna noodle casserole on Saturday. It's okay every 2 or 3 months.