Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Like Planning Meals.

I don't really plan our meals in advance; I shop in advance, have things on hand, and then just have to decide when to cook it.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

me too!!!

I'm so tired of eating the same thing and then HE doesn't care anymore for certain foods (I like chicken, fish and pork).

We stopped eating out but now I'm "rethinking" it because its mentally exhausting coming up with dinner every night (let alone lunch!)

Since spouse has been sick he has lost his taste for many things and since I was sick I lost my sense of taste & smell (still waiting for it to return) -- so we look at each other and say "peanut butter & jelly" sound good...

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I've done opposite of what you described!  I have turned big cubes of meatloaf into "meatballs!"  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Your menus are similar to mine @CrazyKittyLvr2 . I'm on a sandwich kick right now. Will have Philly steak, sloppy Joes and ham & cheese sliders this week.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG   I make a mean sloppy joe.  My son loves it, DD doesn't like sloppy joes, period.

I make a lot and give my son a call. "guess what I just made."  His answer always is, "I'll stop on my way home from work."  

Reminds me, I need to get back about a dozen of my Lock n Locks from him. lol

Frequent Contributor

I've gone to making soup most nights because I'm out of ideas.  Beef stew, hamburger vegetable, taco, ham & beans, loaded baked potato,  chili, etc.  Might not work for hungry husbands and growing families, but for the two of us it's okay.

Honored Contributor

I HATE planning meals ----I have a tiny kitchen now so it is difficult to do much cooking and preparing without it looking like a bomb went off--then DD can't eat any dairy----bummer!!! About 3/4 of everything uses dairy of some sort in it----most my meals are literally figured out the hour before we eat it----nothing sounds good either-

I am using my crock pot more and have an airfryer too, that I use alot----am thinking about patty melts for tonight-----without the cheese for her of course!!!  Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

Your story about trying to please DH, son, yourself and everyone else made me laugh.

We can't do this anymore since we moved away,and my dad died, but when it was my turn,  I was challenged to prepare either a Thanksgivng or Christmas meal that suited everyone.

Well, good luck doing that with a bunch of people who claimed allergies to eggs,  didn't like poultry (so chicken and turkey were off the menu),  never ate seafood, had a lactose intolerance, or decided that they must be gluten intolerant. 

Then my niece got married and her husband declared he hated ham, which was the family dinner staple (and only alternative) when all other relatives were sharing the same meal.

One night, that fellow announced to everyone at the table that he like green peppers, but they gave him gas.  (Gee, so sorry I served a dish with green pepper.)

I could go on with this rant, but won't  bore everyone who already might have invested time in reading it!!

Meanwhile, I've been married to a guy who eats just about everything and plenty of it.  What a relief!

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I know you have followed keto for a while.  How did you put your menus together?  A guide?

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I know you have followed keto for a while.  How did you put your menus together?  A guide?

@Hoovermom  As a matter of fact, tomorrow is my 2 yr. 8 mos. Ketoversary. There are meal planning guides available but I don't use them. When following keto, it's important to track macros, which are macronutrients that make up the percentages of calories in your foods.  I use a tracking app for that and know what I'm supposed to hit daily in order to meet my goals.  I dug in and did my homework, learning about Ingredients, good and bad, and became a diligent label reader. In the beginning, it's best to keep things simple; a modest amount of protein, a serving of an approved vegetable, and some healthy fat.  As I learned about various recipe websites that support this lifestyle, I started trying more creative recipes.  I always plan what I'm eating in a given day so it meet my macro requirements.