Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Am in Love with Iceberg Lettuce Again

I still prefer romaine for salads (and I fix a lot of them) but I will buy iceberg for tacos and will use up what's left in a salad (or mix it in with my romaine).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The classic combo of a cold wedge of Iceberg topped with blue cheese dressing is always a treat. Iceberg is a must on hamburgers and tacos.

But we tend to go for other types of lettuce for salad.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

iceberg lettuce is meant for certain foods, like tacos, a wedge salad and of course burgers etc... but i cant eat a salad without romaine lettuce, love my romaine as a salad.. when they took it off the market for awhile i was heartbroken, and had spring mix for a salad.. ok. but not nearly as good..

Respected Contributor

Iceberg is the only lettuce I like, other than maybe hearts of romaine.

I can't say enough how much I dislike going to a restaurant, order a nice salad, and they bring me a bowl of what looks to be weeds they picked from the yard. Yuck! No flavor or crispiness. 

I love iceberg for how crispy and sweet it is. 

You can put any dressing on iceberg and it tastes great.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 Exactly!  Weeds!  When I look in the plastic box there's something disconcerting.  And now I know why!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladybug724 Exactly!  Weeds!  When I look in the plastic box there's something disconcerting.  And now I know why!  Woman Wink

@Sooner Yep! Iceberg is the way to go!!!

Honored Contributor

I mix iceberg with romaine for a little crunch.

I use iceberg for things like pear or pineapple on a lettuce leaf salad.

Also, iceberg is my preference for a sandwich.

Trusted Contributor

Family loves iceberg; I buy a mix that comes in a bag...

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I seldom buy iceberg, however every once in a while we are in the mood for an iceberg wedge salad and I buy it.  It's really just a vessel to hold the blue cheese, bacon and carmelized onions.  The chopped tomatoes are the only saving grace, nutrition-wise.

Arugula and romaine are my favorites.  We have salad daily and I throw arugula in lots of other things too.

Honored Contributor

I have always loved iceburg lettuce--my mom would serve wedge salads with homemade 1000 isles dressing overtop.