Honored Contributor

Re: I Am in Love with Iceberg Lettuce Again

I actually like to use cabbage instead of lettuce because of its crunch...on hamburgers, tacos, any other food on which you can use iceberg lettuce.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I stopped eating it for a while when "they" said there was no nutritional content and moved to romaine, I need crispy lettuce. One of my favorite salads is a wedge salad with iceberg, blue cheese, and bacon. I'm putting it on my shopping list now! It seems the past two years, every time I bought romaine there was a recall so I moved to chopped kale. It's all right but I'd prefer romaine or iceberg 

@Carolina925 OH yes!  Blue Cheese!  My doc said once just use a little lemon juice and I said "Look, I don't get blue cheese very often but when we eat out and they have good blue cheese dressing, I'm going to dig out the chunks from the bowl of dressing and eat those first!"  He laughed and said "Go for it!"

But I also love Feta on salads.  Or about anything!  I love cheese, but not globbed and cooked.  Just good, stinky cheese . . . 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner , I'm with you. There's a blue cheese dressing that's olive oil based, can't remember the brand, that's pretty good. I buy blue cheese and gorgonzola chunks, as well as feta. Love all of them! I'm old, it's all gravy to me now anyway. My thinking is that if I really want something, I don't want to pass it by and then find out it was my last chance to eating it. As far as nutritional value, there are a few things I eat that have none, too. Iceberg is probably the safest one Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Sooner - @JeanLouiseFinch  is absolutely right.  There is ZERO nutritional value to iceburg lettuce - It is basically adding water to your more fuller described  salads you're preparing.   The 'crunch' you describe is about the only texture benefit it has.  

I'm with you, Iceberg is zero for everything and you have to use lots of dressing to get any flavor at all.  

I buy baby spinach and spring mix. And throw in raw cauliflour, tomatoes and chick peas.   

Esteemed Contributor

I love the various lettuces, but my digestive system doesn't.  I have to stick w/iceberg.  Seems to agree w/me.  I have low iron and started eating baby spinach because it is high in iron.  Well about 2 days of that was enough.  No deal, couldn't tolerate it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  Never a big fan of Romaine anyway, (and then there were all the recalls), but I'd moved away from Iceberg, which was my go to choice, to Butter lettuce. Lately, while I still prefer Butter, I've rediscovered Iceberg and am liking it again. Oh, and I'm in no way obsessed with the nutrition factor. Not everything consumed has to meet a high nutritional criteria. I'd also note that as far as it goes, no lettuce is exactly packed with delectable flavor as far as I'm concerned.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I've always bought iceberg lettuce for the same reasons, but mostly because it gets so crispy for salads and sandwiches. I still buy Bibb (or Butter lettuce), but my go-to is always iceberg. I store it the same way as has been mentioned: wrapped in a damp paper towel and stored in a large plastic bag.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  I, too, have rediscovered iceberg lettuce after all the romaine scares. I went back to buying it 2 summers ago. It's light and refreshing in the summer, goes well on sandwiches, can be mixed with a variety of veggies, fruits, cheeses, etc.

We used to go to a steak restaurant in Chicago that served 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce topped with thick thousand island dressing as their house salad. - Loved that too.

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa As Daisy suggested, French dressing is delicious on a wedge of Iceberg lettuce.  

Valued Contributor

I have salad every single night with dinner. I use Iceberg lettuce for a nice wedge salad with bacon and bleu cheese, romaine for making a ceaser salad and butter bib for my regular salad with tomatoe, green onion and whatever else. I rotate these three types of salads all week long. Love them all.

Beckyblu