Honored Contributor

Re: I Am in Love with Iceberg Lettuce Again

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   It's good to mix different lettuces like Iceberg and Romaine or Red Leaf.

Here is a recipe for Iceberg that's a nice compliment to grilled chicken or steak.

One Icebergy Lettuce cut into four wedges.

1 T Dijon mustard

3 T White Wine Vinegar

1/2 c extra Virgin Olive Oil

salt & pepper to taste

4 oz. Crumbled Blue Cheese

Combine:  mustard, vinegar, half of the blue cheese in a bowl.  Mix lightly.  Add the Olive oil and salt & pepper.  Whisk.  Pour over each wedge and top each wedge with the remaining blue cheese.  If you like blue cheese you will enjoy this simple recipe.

I have another receipe with Iceberg lettuce that is great around the Christmas holidays with fruit.  If you would like it, let me know.  It goes well with ham and twice baked potatoes.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladybug724 

This made me laugh, and think of my Italian mother.

She would often ask my sister and me to help her pick dandelion leaves from the back yard for our nightly salads. 

I can still see her down on her hands and knees happily searching for what she viewed as "free" salad! Cat LOL

To this day, I prefer some greens that are a little bitter.

Trusted Contributor

I am too a big fan of iceberg and butter lettuce as I am limited to vitamin K on blood thinners.  I love you can mix in of your choice and make it a meal.  I love cabbage to! I always store my lettuce in foil with the air taken out, an old farmer told me this years ago so it doesn't spoil or rot, and it really works!  

Honored Contributor

Yesterday we ate at a Japanese restaurant. They have an iceburg lettuce salad with a ginger dressing.

It was so good. I could eat just that salad for diner and be happy. I like the crunch of the iceburg lettuce. I have only been buying romaine lettuce for the last few years. But I am going to buy liceburg next grocery run. Can't wait to have bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla 

That sounds so good!

Was it anything like this?

• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup olive or peanut oil

(I'm off to the store for fresh gingerroot. I think I used up all mine from another dish I was making.)

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@drizzellla 

That sounds so good!

Was it anything like this?

• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup olive or peanut oil

(I'm off to the store for fresh gingerroot. I think I used up all mine from another dish I was making.)

Not sure. But doubt it. Your recipe has alot of liquid.

I have bought numerous ginger salad dressings, in my search for something similar. Nothing compares. 

The Japanese restaurant's dressing is bright orange. Only thing I can think would give it that color would be carrots. So they must puree the carrots. It is a thicker consistency because all the ingredients are pureed. And there is just a hint of oil.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Well, that sounds good, too! My DD made me a carrot ginger soup once, and I loved it!

I think I'll try the other, though, once I replace the fresh ginger.

Thanks for sharing!!

p.s. I just found another one.... They don't say how much of anything, but it is all blended:

• Carrots
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Rice vinegar
  • Canola oil
  • Fresh grated ginger
  • Granulated sugar
  • Soy sauce
  • Garlic

Japanese Ginger Salad Dressing Recipe

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@drizzellla 

Well, that sounds good, too! My DD made me a carrot ginger soup once, and I loved it!

I think I'll try the other, though, once I replace the fresh ginger.

Thanks for sharing!!

p.s. I just found another one.... They don't say how much of anything, but it is all blended:

• Carrots
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Rice vinegar
  • Canola oil
  • Fresh grated ginger
  • Granulated sugar
  • Soy sauce
  • Garlic

Japanese Ginger Salad Dressing Recipe

That looks like it. Everything looks the same color, consistency and what I am guessing the ingredients are.

Super Contributor

Yeah, I've been mostly using iceberg lettuce ever since Romaine has been trying to kill us! Haha