Honored Contributor

I Am in Love with Iceberg Lettuce Again

Do you use much iceberg lettuce?  I went back to using a lot of it when my beloved Romaine lettuce was having lots of recalls.  I enjoy it because it is very crisp, easier to wash, stores beautifully and is perfect for tacos.

I have also discovered that it is better than Romaine for the above reasons and because what we make, basically chopped salads, we like better with it.

We always add chunks of bell pepper, cucumber, onion, tomato, celery and then throw in whatever else we have such as fruit, dried cranberries or cherries or blueberries along with fresh ones, nuts, broccoli, carrots, avocado, cheese, fritoes for taco salad and lots of taco flavored beef, corn kernals, and sometimes grain for a more grain-based salad.

We'll add ham, tuna or any other protein, including eggs.  So for us, salad has become a lot more than mostly greens.  And we make our own oil and vinegar dressings too.  But I like the veggies and fruits and less lettuce these days. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I Am in Love with Iceberg Lettuce Again

@Sooner   I haven't bought a head of iceberg lettuce in so many years that I can't remember how far back.  But after reading your suggestions I'm going to put it on my grocery list.  I like chopped salads like the one you described.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

only lettuce my husband will eat!

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing beats iceberg on a sandwich!  And yes, the crunch on tacos is the best.  I think it has a very nice flavor.

For my salads I still prefer hearts of romaine - when you get down to the end it's pretty crunchy.  My neighbor's rabbits love the core.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Kinda hard on my digestive system.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   That is the only lettuce I buy because of all the reasons you mentioned.   It stays so fresh if you wrap it in a damp paper towel and place in a plastic bag.   

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Me too; have you had any better luck with other lettuces?

Honored Contributor

If DH had his way we'd be eating iceberg, he prefers a crunchy salad. I quit buying it, though, because I could never find nice solid heads, they were always kinda spongey.  I also don't believe there is much nutritional value in iceberg lettuce.  When we have salad I'll combine spring mix and romaine, maybe throw in some extra spinach if I have it.  That way we're covering all the bases, better nutrients and crunch.   

Trusted Contributor

I don't remember the last time I bought iceberg lettuce.

I use baby spinach.

@Sooner Glad you and iceberg have been reunited.

Enjoy.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner - @JeanLouiseFinch  is absolutely right.  There is ZERO nutritional value to iceburg lettuce - It is basically adding water to your more fuller described  salads you're preparing.   The 'crunch' you describe is about the only texture benefit it has.