Respected Contributor

Re: I Am Really Slacking On Supper Tonight.

I grill out almost 80% of our dinners during hot summer days.  I can’t stand the thought of turning on the gas oven.  If I don’t grill out I will do something like chicken salad sandwiches or BLTs. 

Respected Contributor

Having the ac on and not being out in the heat and humidity, I have been fixing what I usually do Smiley Happy   Even things I make like veggie soup, hot food etc.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  It's cooking as usual with us, but we keep it pretty cool inside. Summer is when I hibernate - too hot and humid to be outside, even our dog doesn't want to stay out longer than he has to. Can't wait until October when it cools down some. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl 

We only eat outside, I have a compromised immune system and eating inside would not be an option for me right now

Power came back on Sunday evening, we had gone out for a drive and came home to lights and air conditioning 

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@I am still oxox Eating out is such a nice option! (I have asthma so I have not been going out to eat due to covid) I am sorry to read about your power issue. I hope it is resolved now. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It's 111° and I can feel the heat radiating down from the ceiling.....fighting for space with the air conditioning.    I'm digging into a carton of sherbet for supper............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Bowl of cereal with fresh blueberries - now that's what I call slacking!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I must be the #1 slacker since July our dinner menu has been:

Tuna salad stuffed tomatoes

chopped Antipasto salad w/fresh vegs

BLT

fish w/garlic lemon butter sauce

pasta w/garlic & olive oil -- chopped salad

marinated chicken breasts w/tomato salad

Breakfast omelets 

Tomato & pepper salad w/hot dogs, burgers or steaks

REPEAT!!! I hardly cook in the summer.  

Enjoy your dinner🙂

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

Oh that tomato looks so good!!!  I miss the wonderful Jersey corn and tomatoes...FL has horrible produce I'm yet to find a "tasty" tomato here (they are mostly hot house).

My favorite summer sandwich tomato, sometimes w/American cheese w/Hellman's  on fresh italian bread (which can't find good bread or pizza here either).

Respected Contributor

I've been cooking 2-3 meals a day for 3 people everyday for almost 6 months.  UGH!

Honored Contributor

I took the EZ way out tonight.  Frozen Carnita meat from Kroger (it comes in cardboard packaging).  I just put it frozen package and all in my Hot Logic for 4 hours.  Then I cut up some leftover bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms and sauteed them in a little oil.  Took those little round soft corn tortillas (soft and white) and put them on a buttered griddle, added the meat, the veggies, and some cheese.  Mini fajitas.  

The Hot Logic is a little kitchen gadget that looks a lot like one of those insulated totes for an 8x8 or 9-13 dish.  It has a plate in it that warms up to a particular temperature which cannot be changed.  You just plug it in and put the food in and it will slowly cook it to that temp and no more than that temp, so your food doesn't get over-cooked.  Kinda like how Sous Vide doesn't overcook your food.  It doesn't heat up the kitchen.  I got one for my husband for his boat and then got the larger one for me.  I got it mostly to keep food warm for church socials.  It's really good if you work in an office and don't want to stand in line for the microwave.  Just put your frozen dinner in when you get to work and by lunch it's ready.