Super Contributor

Re: I AM A PLASTICWARE FAILURE

I'm a convert to glassware too and I'm switching over as plastic containers go.

And don't beat yourself up too much. I've damaged way more things in the kitchen than just plasticware.

Let's just say none of the glasses my DH had when he met me are still in existence.

Honored Contributor

Glassware has its place, but I still prefer plastic (L&L) for storage. I've never had any major problems with it beyond norma. wear and tear. I don't put it in the microwave; I do put it in the dishwasher.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't ever microwave heat something in a plastic container.  I use microwave-safe glass and ceramic.

Esteemed Contributor

I use L&L all the time for storage & reheating & I never have a problem 🙃

Honored Contributor

I don't reheat in plastic either.  I did not care for LL so I buy my plastic Rubbermaid containers from Costco.  I use plastic containers in freezer and I heat in glass containers.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I use plastic containers in freezer and I heat in glass containers.  

@DiAnne 

My baby brother also uses the plastic I gave him for storing food in the freezer.  He also uses for storage.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I’ve switched over to glass storage containers. Much better. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme - I'm surprised you were able to scorch a Sistema; out of curiosity, were you using the regular containers or the pieces that are actually labeled as "cookers"? I have three Sistema multicookers (purchased here at the Q and at Amazon) that are in constant rotation in my meal prep lineup because they're so sturdy and do such a great job. I actually haven't cooked rice, potatoes, or pasta in any other pot in a very long time, and virtually all of my reheating takes place in these vessels as well. I think the fact that they are specifically designed as microwave cookware rather than just being "microwave safe" makes a difference.

Valued Contributor

Our local news just did a segment on plasticware and safety. They indicated that if it was labeled as 2, 4 or 7 it's really not considered safe.....especially if used for heating. Also said that even handwashing or diswashing will start to degrade it. 

wbtv.com - bpa-free-is-not-enough-charlotte-pediatrician-need-rid-your-home-plastics/

"A few other things to remember: One, research has shown acidic food in general just touching* plastic is enough of a chemical reaction to get those harmful chemicals into your food. Foods like, pizza, marinara sauce and organges.

Two, there are safer choices when it comes to plastic storage containers. If look at the bottom of your plastic food storage containers and they have a #2, #4 or #5, those are generally recognized as safe for food and drink. But even when you use the safer plastics, don’t store any acidic or greasy foods in them.

However, if any of your containers have a #3, #6 or #7 -- get rid of those! They’re considered high-risk plastics.

Finally, be sure to throw out any plastic containers that are scratched up, badly worn or are cloudy. And, don’t use any plastic containers in the microwave or dishwasher for improved safety."

Honored Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

Our local news just did a segment on plasticware and safety. They indicated that if it was labeled as 2, 4 or 7 it's really not considered safe.....especially if used for heating. Also said that even handwashing or diswashing will start to degrade it. 

wbtv.com - bpa-free-is-not-enough-charlotte-pediatrician-need-rid-your-home-plastics/

"A few other things to remember: One, research has shown acidic food in general just touching* plastic is enough of a chemical reaction to get those harmful chemicals into your food. Foods like, pizza, marinara sauce and organges.

Two, there are safer choices when it comes to plastic storage containers. If look at the bottom of your plastic food storage containers and they have a #2, #4 or #5, those are generally recognized as safe for food and drink. But even when you use the safer plastics, don’t store any acidic or greasy foods in them.

However, if any of your containers have a #3, #6 or #7 -- get rid of those! They’re considered high-risk plastics.

Finally, be sure to throw out any plastic containers that are scratched up, badly worn or are cloudy. And, don’t use any plastic containers in the microwave or dishwasher for improved safety."

@CinNC, there are no actual studies mentioned as sources in that article.

Red flag for me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland