Esteemed Contributor

Re: I AM A PLASTICWARE FAILURE

@loriqvc wrote:

@eddyandme - I'm surprised you were able to scorch a Sistema; out of curiosity, were you using the regular containers or the pieces that are actually labeled as "cookers"? I have three Sistema multicookers (purchased here at the Q and at Amazon) that are in constant rotation in my meal prep lineup because they're so sturdy and do such a great job. I actually haven't cooked rice, potatoes, or pasta in any other pot in a very long time, and virtually all of my reheating takes place in these vessels as well. I think the fact that they are specifically designed as microwave cookware rather than just being "microwave safe" makes a difference.

Unfortunately, I've managed to.  For example, when I cook the blue box mac 'n cheese, it's only me and Eddy, my furbaby, so I'll put leftovers into a mug and reheat it; also, same with chef boy ardee (but that has sauce) so either way, eventually, I've scorched them.

Respected Contributor

Great, this morning I went to a lot of work to cut up a fresh pineapple into a Fresh Sealer container then pulled the air out of it.  I suppose I should turn it upside down to check the number and hope that doesn't break the seal . . . I don't know how acidic pineapple is.  I'm so old I'm probably as poisoned by plastics as I'll ever be but it's the kids that are much more exposed.  In the 1940s-50s I think the most plastic we had around the kitchen were the reusable covers for jars and bowls until Melamine dinnerware hit the market.

Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

Our local news just did a segment on plasticware and safety. They indicated that if it was labeled as 2, 4 or 7 it's really not considered safe.....especially if used for heating. Also said that even handwashing or diswashing will start to degrade it. 

wbtv.com - bpa-free-is-not-enough-charlotte-pediatrician-need-rid-your-home-plastics/

"A few other things to remember: One, research has shown acidic food in general just touching* plastic is enough of a chemical reaction to get those harmful chemicals into your food. Foods like, pizza, marinara sauce and organges.

Two, there are safer choices when it comes to plastic storage containers. If look at the bottom of your plastic food storage containers and they have a #2, #4 or #5, those are generally recognized as safe for food and drink. But even when you use the safer plastics, don’t store any acidic or greasy foods in them.

However, if any of your containers have a #3, #6 or #7 -- get rid of those! They’re considered high-risk plastics.

Finally, be sure to throw out any plastic containers that are scratched up, badly worn or are cloudy. And, don’t use any plastic containers in the microwave or dishwasher for improved safety."

WOW, @CinNC !  Good info - thank you!  

Safety is another reason I'm now using them anymore: just figured anything etched cannot be clean so just looking at it turns me off.  I had no idea about the dishwasher/microwave would wear them down - that's always the selling speil - microwave/top dishwasher safe.  Very informative, thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme, No, you aren't the only one! The only plastic storage containers I have in my kitchen are Tupperware (they're ancient) for flour and sugar. All my other storage containers are glass - all of them Pyrex. I got so tired of the stained and scorched plastic containers several years ago, so they're all gone. BTW, eggs shells, potato peelings and apple peelings are some of the worst things a person can put in a garbage disposal, so you're not missing anything there!

Esteemed Contributor

FYI, just wanted to mention just did a search on amazonsmile for glass storage containers and  now the have a consumer test results feature.  I'd like to post the results, but neither product (top two) are sold on QVC so they'd probably remove it.

Anyways, more useful information, I thought.  

And, thanks everybody!  I don't feel alone anymore!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got the plastic food containers that are microwave safe.  Even though, we only defrost in them and let them slowly melt the food in a pot on the range. A container isn't wide enough to stir so one area isn't over cooked.

Respected Contributor

when you say scorch marks you mean inside plastic containers it gets white marks in them. if thats what you mean then we have stuff like that to.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

when you say scorch marks you mean inside plastic containers it gets white marks in them. if thats what you mean then we have stuff like that to.

Yes, @Pooky1 , and also it's not only th scratchy, white etches but, if you reheated with a tomato-based sauce, it comes out orangy/yellowy - gross either wayWoman Sad!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme   I've never used L & L in the microwave, even though BPA free the transfer of plastic to food worries me.  I use L & L for storage but like you I use the glass L & L for reheating.  Thrilled they added glass to their line.  I have every set and use at least one a day.  Love the vented ones, do you use those?  

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@eddyandme   I've never used L & L in the microwave, even though BPA free the transfer of plastic to food worries me.  I use L & L for storage but like you I use the glass L & L for reheating.  Thrilled they added glass to their line.  I have every set and use at least one a day.  Love the vented ones, do you use those?  

Yes, @rockygems123 .  I only have one four-piece set (well three-piece now 'cause a friend still hasn't returned it!  I got the cinnamon red color set and love it.  Also got a 9x13 in same color and a slightly small size with white cover.  

Also recently received two loaf pans in the yellow cover.  Yeah, I'm getting into it!Woman LOL