Trusted Contributor

My Aldi's hyacinth bulbs are blooming.  Purple and pink.  Having a problem keeping them upright.  They keep falling over.  Had the same problem last year and one fell and the bloom broke off.

Boop

Honored Contributor

I was just having the same problem! I got one from Trader Joes and it is blooming, also starting to tip-the stem is long.

I'm realizing when I've bought them in the store already bloomed and opened, the bloom is only about an inch away from the pot. In other words, the stem is buried, not just the bulb.

So I am going to try putting it in a larger vase type holder rather than an ordinary flower pot.

The stick I put in there isn't working either and I don't want to tie it to the stick for fear of harming it. I also wanted to be careful not to put the stick in the bulb.

So I think I'll try the vase idea.

The smell is amazing isn't it? And all over the room from one hyacinth!Good luck to us with our blooming hyacinths!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am not surprised..mine in my garden sometimes tip over and I plant those bulbs 6 inches deep! 

Can an you believe I have hyacinths and narcissus blooming in my garden right NOW?!hopefully the El Niño rains don't shred them like they did my calladium leaves.....

Trusted Contributor

They do smell good.  I put a plastic knife in each which has helped a little.  I have an amaryllis left over from Christmas.  I may just chuck it.  Done blomming and use that vase.

Boop