Honored Contributor

Hummus says use within 7 days. Do you use it longer than the date on the container? 

It seems fine even a few days after the date. But not sure if it is safe to use!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Hummus says use within 7 days. Do you use it longer than the date on the container? 

It seems fine even a few days after the date. But not sure if it is safe to use!

it's gone before that, in my house

it will be fine 

Respected Contributor

i have never noticed the expiration date, but now i will pay closer attention.  it usually hangs around in the refrigerator till i finish it off.  

Honored Contributor

I just asked DH (he's the hummus eater) about an expiration date.  He said he's never looked and since he's the only one who eats it, it lasts a couple of weeks and he has never had a problem.

Unless an item smells or tastes strange, I wouldn't throw something out just because it's passed the expiration date.

Honored Contributor

I would eat it a couple of days after as long as it isn’t separating,smelling funny and has been properly stored in refrigerator at all times.

Trusted Contributor

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't even look at expiration dates most of the time.  I personally think that we worry about them too much.  I read somewhere that those expiration dates are "suggested" dates, mostly for stores to not leave things on shelves for too long, and that food can most always be kept far beyond that printed date.

You have to go by what the food looks like, and smells like, etc 

When things are bad, it's most usually very obvious. 

Even when items aren't pristinely fresh, it is unlikely that any harm will come to us.

But, I know lots of people are fussy about those things, it worries them.  My mom was like that, and I understand it. 

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I keep it 2-3 weeks, as long as it smells and tastes ok.

Honored Contributor

What are these words, 

“Do you use it longer than the date on the container?”

I do not comprehend.

😆

55A1A87D-625A-4F69-8576-BA42495DDECF.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I eat Trader Joe’s Classic hummus, and on the lid it says to use in 7 days after opening. But it lasts 2 to 3 weeks since Mr. Shoes eats a different hummus entirely. At first I was a little worried, but it seems to keep just fine. I don’t leave it out of the refrigerator for a long time, though

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Since it’s made from a cooked product, I wouldn’t be worried.