Trusted Contributor

Re: How will you be cooking your corned beef?

I will simmer 2 of the corned beef with the seasoning packets for a few hours. I boil the potatoes and cabbage separately. What we love the most are the leftovers: Reuben's for a few days!

Trusted Contributor

I simmer with the spices, take out a bit early as I don't like it to be dry.  I put potatoes and cabbage in the liquid and add the meat to warm up.

Love, love, love with vinegar.

Honored Contributor

Corned beef is too salty for my tastes, so I don't make it.

My father always said that St Patrick was Italian and not Irish.  He was a missionary who went to Ireland to convert the people.

We always have Italian food on St Paddy's Day.

Fun trivia, not sure if it is true or not, but we do know for sure he wasn't Irish.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Carmie that a corned beef brisket is too salty for me.   My family did not care for it; husband loves raw cabbage but will not eat it cooked and boiled potatoes are a hit and miss in this household.   My family actually loves corned beef in a can tho!   

Valued Contributor

I try to find one with a spice packet to add, not the ones already soaking in the spices in with the meat because it is too salty. I don't add the spice packet, cook in the crockpot all day starting with a bit of water. It's not plain and boring to us. Steam the vegetables in another pot, or we might have warm Reubens sandwiches with a vegetable.

Respected Contributor

I probably won't. DH and I decided we really don't care much for it much. It could be that I have never cooked it right but along with my quest for making a delicious home made pie crust and a tasty corned beef meal-- I give up!

For me due to HBP I have cultivated a low sodium diet and I just don't think DH cares for the spices. We both like lightly steamed cabbage and Gourmets will cover thier ears , but I will use a  sprinkle of canned corned beef with it. If I go to a good deli I like Reuben sandwich occasionally.

@Carmie & @RedTop I agree.

Respected Contributor

Slow Cooker - I don't use the spice packet and I cook my cabbage in the slow cooker on top of the corned beef.  

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's has amazing corned beef that they only sell around St. Patrick's Day.  

Honored Contributor

I use my pressure cooker and prefer it to the slow cooker method. The spices are infused throughout the meat...yum!

Also, Wegman's has an interesting recipe on their corned beef packages that involves some simmering, followed by baking.

I think too much liquid cooks the flavor out of the beef.

Honored Contributor

I rinse it and then put it in the crockpot.  I make mashed potatoes and saute the cabbage with onions.

We only buy JP O'Reilly's flat cut and I don't use the package of spices included.  I don't like it floating around.