Respected Contributor

Re: How will you be cooking your corned beef?

Too fatty. We don't eat it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i

I Bake mine..discard the spice packet, wrap meat tightly in heavy duty tinfoil and bake slowly 275-300 for 1 to 1.50 hours per pound...very little shrinkage..it's the only way I cook it, and have been doing it for 30 years..

Sometimes after it is done,  i mix in a little apricot preserves, horseradish and mustard and glaze it for a few under the broiler...

I posted this online in the old "Gail's Recipe Swap"  about 20+ years ago and people still email me about it

I was known then as Tammy from Arcadia Ca...anyone else from there here now?

Valued Contributor

@Mothertrucker   That sounds delicious.  Don't remember "Gail's Recipe Swap",  but I know you have posted some great recipes on these boards.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found a Martha Stewart recipe last night for using the slow cooker.  I plan to do it that way.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I don't cook corned beef, I don't eat corned beef.  I don't care for that cut of beef, too stringy and it can be tough and chewy depending on who cooks it. 

Honored Contributor

Corned beef is one of our favorites. I usually boil it but I may try the oven method this year. Some say there is less shrinkage. Shrinks a lot when it's boiled.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never made corned beef, but I just printed out the recipe you provided and hope to make it.  Thanks @Ainhisg

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I rinse it and then put it in the crockpot.  I make mashed potatoes and saute the cabbage with onions.

We only buy JP O'Reilly's flat cut and I don't use the package of spices included.  I don't like it floating around.

@CelticCrafter,That looks good although I've never been a fan of corned beef.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM,  you are very welcome. Just follow the recipe exactly, and you will have success.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH is a truck driver but was a former professional Cook (not Chef) for many years, so he does most of the cooking while I come up with most of the recipes.  He doesn't use the spice packets, but simmers the brisket for about an hour, drains the greasy water, then simmers for 2 to 3 hours more, until tender.

He sautes the coarsely chopped cabbage, coin carrots and a small amount of white onion in canola butter then finishes them off with a bit of chicken base (low sodium) and water. Formerly, he cooked all the veggies with the meat, but I thought it was too greasy and all tasting the same, so this works better. Small new potatoes are quartered and steamed until tender.  I like a mixture of mayo and brown mustard to dip the corned beef into, and with 3 large fur babies, our family of 5 ends up needing 2 briskets so we will sure of having leftovers for sandwiches and hash ;-)

foodcornedbeefcabbagecarrotspotatoescokedtoperfection.jpg