Super Contributor

Re: How to store potatoes?

[ Edited ]

Here is a great website that I frequently refer to to see how to store and how long it is safe to keep foods.

www.stilltasty.com

Also learned recently that storing and shelf life of sweet potatoes is different that other potatoes.  Never refrigerate sweet potatoes - it alters taste!

Honored Contributor

It's "only me" in the house.........so I only buy a potato when I'm in the mood for one (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I don't buy many potatoes at one time, a 5# bag at most; they stay fresh in a large basket in the garage where it is cool, low light, and they can spread out a bit from one another.

I bought a bag of Vidalia onions at Costco which are in the garage but I know I need to get some into the refrigerator and freeze the rest. 

Honored Contributor

I only buy what I'm going to use soon, as I don't cook that much anymore.  But I just put mine on top of my washing machine.  My laundry room is right off my kitchen and just before the garage, so it stays cooler in there than other parts of the house.

For several days or so that works well.  If they are in the produce bag, I make sure the bag is gaping open at the top so they get air.

I think the basic 'cool, dark place' is always a good bet.  As others here have mentioned, I would NOT ever put them in the refrigerator - at least until cooked.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I store a small bag of potatoes in the refrigerator. We don't have a basement, unfortunately, so that isn't an option. We love potatoes, but I only buy either a small bag, or 4 or 5 individual potatoes at a time. I've been storing them in the refrigerator veggie drawers for years and have never had a problem doing that. I take what I need out of the fridge an hour or two before I use them so they come closer to room temperature.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all suggestions.  I have no laundry room or washer. No garage. No basement. Maybe I will start just buying what I will use up within a week.  Man Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

I have a combo bread box "tater/onion bin" and it too has the chicken wire doors on it where the onions and potatoes go.  I do what someone above said - this time of the year I just don't buy a lot of potatoes. 

I'm also not a big bread person so I come home, separate a loaf of bread in two and wrap half in nonstick Reynolds Wrap and put in a freezer Ziploc bag.  Otherwise I'd be tossing away good food all the time.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @jannabelle1 and a few of the others who keep potatoes in the refrigerator. I've done it for years, can't stand the thought of leaving them out somewhere, and they stay fresh for a very long time. I keep my sweet potatoes in there as well. 

Just took one of each out a couple of days ago that I've had in there for weeks (2 or 3) and made fries on my air fryer. They were delicious!

Respected Contributor

we have a bin in kitchen that we keep a bag of potatoes but when on sale buy one get one free and i usually will buy 4 bags. we put the extra bags in refrigerator and they keep well. they dont turn green of sprout in refrigerator. good luck.

Honored Contributor

I’m 62 and have never in my life refrigerated my potatoes.   I grew up on a farm and learned never to store potatoes and onions together.   

I currently have 10 lbs of potatoes in my kitchen in an open bucket, and 30 lbs lying flat on the ramp in my garage.   We often have as many as 150 lbs of potatoes in the dark corners of the garage, from fall thru May.   May thru September I usually just buy a bag at a time, or store them on our basement steps where it is cool and dark.   

My vidalia onions are in a dark corner of my unheated TV room.