Valued Contributor

Re: How to prep and care for a new Lodge cast iron pan?

I agree with ECBG on how to prep your cast iron pan. As for cleaning, I use coarse salt and a non abrasive pad when pan is still warm, dump salt and wash with soap and water. Make sure pan is completely dry before putting away.

Years ago I asked a chef friend if he used soap on his cast iron. He told me "of course I use soap. The Board of Health would close down the restaurant or fine me if I wasn't". So I listened to him and never had a problem.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

How do I care for a new one? I cook lots of fatty type foods in it. When I buy a new cast iron pan it immediately goes on breakfast duty for bacon or sausage. This will naturally season the pan even more. I try and avoid cooking anything prone to sticking, for example with a high sugar content in a new pan. 

The soap thing is an old wives tale left over from the days of strong lye soap. I use dish detergent on mine all the time. Just dry the pan after you wash it. On new pans I usually put a small amount of lard in the pan when I dry it on the stove. Just enough so it's shiny but wipe the excess out. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Cast iron skillets are a lifelong commitment!