Regular Contributor

How to prep and care for a new Lodge cast iron pan?

I know it comes preseasoned so you're not supposed to need to do that in the beginning but I have heard it is best to do so anyway. 

And how do you care for it?  I know you're not supposed to use soap on it. Any tips? 

Honored Contributor

Re: How to prep and care for a new Lodge cast iron pan?

[ Edited ]
How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
  • Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
  • Dry thoroughly.
  • Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
  • Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
  • Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.

southernliving.com/food/how-to/how-t0-season-a-cast-iron-skillet

I make gravy, sauces, and other things in mine.  It gets washed with soap.  I always use a plastic net scrubber and air dry.  I'm still using them and they were bought in 1975.

About the only way you wouldn't use soap is to just use it for cornbread.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't want to deal with all that mess, I got enammeled cast iron.  You don't have to buy expesive brands, Lodge makes them.  I have a Tramontina I've used for years and years.  

Respected Contributor

The pans used to come with an instruction sheet on them.  Go to the Lodge website.  They have a ton of use and care instructions, recipes, etc.  The website is a great resource.

Honored Contributor

I've always been taught to wipe out with paper towels and clean with just hot water.

If any 'scrubbing' is needed, use salt (coarse salt works best).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have skillets I use on the old coil stove in my apartment, but can I buy cast iron for my glass top stove, too?  Thanks for any advice on this related question.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I have skillets I use on the old coil stove in my apartment, but can I buy cast iron for my glass top stove, too?  Thanks for any advice on this related question.

I use cast iron on my glass top stove occasionally with no problems.  Just be gentle, don't plop it down and don't drag it across the glass or it will scratch.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I've always been taught to wipe out with paper towels and clean with just hot water.

If any 'scrubbing' is needed, use salt (coarse salt works best).

This is what I have been taught as well, except I use a kitchen dish cloth so I don't get paper towel fibres.

That and was taught NEVER to use soap of any kind!  I never do.

When I rec'd my Lodge Pre-seasoned...I rinsed with hot water.  Dried it right away.

Used my Misto and sprayed it w/ a light coat of Olive Oil and baked it for 10 mins. in a 350 oven.

Now after each use, I clean with water.  I then use a light mist of Olive Oil.  I no longer bake it.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops

I used cast iron skillets on my glass top electric  stove for many years.  No problems ever.

As the previous poster suggested...Just be a little careful!  Don't drag or bang down.

I bought the silicone front handle and long handle covers so I could easily lift or move the skillet off my glass top stove.

Honored Contributor

I have always used a little soap and hot water and a stiff sink brush and it works great.  But you need to thoroughly dry the pan and put it on a warm burner to make sure all the moisture is dried off.  Then periodically, wipe it with a little oil while the pan is dry but still quite warm.