Respected Contributor

How to deal with family members whose taste buds don't work?

Big family issue last night. My sister cooked frozen green beans with a bit of brown sugar in them for the kids (yeah not my favorite either, too sweet in a veggie that shouldn't be). Then my mother came behind her and went to add seasoned salt to that flavor profile, but ended up dumping the whole container in it since she thought the lid came off and the shaker was there. She often doesn't pay attention. When she asked why, "I like season salt in them." Great but not with brown sugar as well.....well...you put it on the fries and in chex mix. She said sweet and savory go together. She just didn't seem to comprehend the differences in the flavors especially when cooking them for a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. If she wanted it in hers, then she could do that on her plate.

Then she started in on the BBQ, a Boston butt cooked in a slow cooker with a whole pile of BBQ sauce and what I can guess was water. My sister did it. I pulled the fat off, shredded it, and put it back in her sauce in the crock to soak while the rest got done. My mother then asks why I didn't skim the fat off before doing that like she does when she cooks a chicken. The sauce already had so much fat in it from the BBQ sauce my sis put in that the fat didn't just float like it does in water and chicken broth. The sauce didn't separate like chicken fat does. Then my sis calls today about the fatty sauce that she made. I told her to trim the fat off the butt first, but oh you need fat in pulled pork. She didn't want to hear that with a butt that fatty, you can cut the fat off and still have plenty left over.

Neither of them are cooks or bakers. My mother's idea of learning from a cooking show is to add PORT to gravy for fried cube steak. It was like eating grape jelly. Instead of trying a bit in a different bowl, she just dumped a cup of port into it like "they" do with wine. Port is wine right.....Neither of them understand that something just don't substitute like others and it takes knowing flavors to know what will and won't work and even then, just test it in a small, separate bowl.

My ma's cooking has never been great, nor her baking. I started baking my dad's birthday carrot cake when I was 10. Ma is ADD and would forget to add something or add too much and so on. In the past few years she has bronzed a stainless steel tea kettle on the stove top by it boiling dry and her in the shower forgetting it was there. It is a miracle that the house didn't burn down. She then put pot holders on the electric burner not paying attention to it being hot. My sister got her cooking skills from ma and did a bit better, though she lacks the patience to do it or over thinks it.

How do you deal with cooks like this in your family? I know my way isn't the right way, but somethings are just wrong, plain and simply wrong. Not everything that I cook is awesome, but when I experiment it isn't the whole night's meal!

Honored Contributor

Re: How to deal with family members whose taste buds don't work?

Do you all live together?

If not, I would order Chinese food for the next get together- lots of salty and sweet!

Respected Contributor

No, it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Oh, my! Have them to your house for meals. Evidently, there's no hope in either one of them preparing an edible dish.

Respected Contributor

This is my humble opinion but if you love them then you have to be sure that they are not allowed to use the stove anymore.

If a person has ADD that is a definite medical problematic issue, and they should not be using any type of stove to cook or bake with.

The house could burn down with everyone in it.

If they cannot remember things they should not be using a stove at all, and someone else should be doing all the cooking.

Another choice is for another family member to buy a portable convection cook top and let them plug it in and use that under supervision of course. If they remove the pot from it the item will auto shut off. The pots just have to hold a magnet to the bottom when tested to ensure the bottom of the pot is magnetic in order for the pot to work on induction cook tops.

You have temperatures to set your degrees to as well as #'s. .....and they all come with a user guide and recipes......so there are choices.

It is much safer to use than a stove especially for elderly and those who have problems.

Respected Contributor

Not everything is so bad. Ma can do a roast in the oven with veggies but when she gets a wild hair to just toss something in, she really gets a wild hair.

My sister is more of the semi-homemade kind of cook. When we have family dinners like Easter, she will do a salad. She uses canned chicken for soups and tacos and things. My nephew had a stomach virus last week and she let him eat cheetoes and something else instead of a base diet for stomach viruses BRATS, bananas, rice, apple sauce, and tea, instead of whatever. She gave my niece a doughnut when she had a stomach virus. Common sense goes out of her head in times like that. The same night of my nephew's stomach virus, my mother decieds to cook chicken soup for him from scratch with bone in chicken thighs and all since it will be better for him. By the time it was cooked, he was in the bed asleep. When she went to pick the stuff up, I asked her why not use peas and carrots mix, chicken bullion, chicken breast, and G-Free noodles (he has a wheat allergy) so he could eat it for supper. Nope, he needs the old fashioned kind.

Growing up we often had supper at 9 or 10 at night!!! I and my sister both eat supper by 6 at the latest if at all possible. That we do agree upon that!

Honored Contributor

Too many cooks spoil the stew...or something like that. Can you shoo them out of the kitchen? If not you'll have to grin and bear it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

At family gatherings, I set the table, clear the table, and wash/put away dishes. While Mom and Sis are in the kitchen, I entertain the grand kids. Two cooks in that kitchen are plenty without adding me to the mix. Their style is not as healthy as we're used to, but I figure it's OK since we don't do it every day.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/22/2015 lolakimono said:

Do you all live together?

If not, I would order Chinese food for the next get together- lots of salty and sweet!

Love this suggestion!
Respected Contributor

On 2/22/2015 adoreqvc said:

This is my humble opinion but if you love them then you have to be sure that they are not allowed to use the stove anymore.

If a person has ADD that is a definite medical problematic issue, and they should not be using any type of stove to cook or bake with.

The house could burn down with everyone in it.

If they cannot remember things they should not be using a stove at all, and someone else should be doing all the cooking.

Another choice is for another family member to buy a portable convection cook top and let them plug it in and use that under supervision of course. If they remove the pot from it the item will auto shut off. The pots just have to hold a magnet to the bottom when tested to ensure the bottom of the pot is magnetic in order for the pot to work on induction cook tops.

You have temperatures to set your degrees to as well as #'s. .....and they all come with a user guide and recipes......so there are choices.

It is much safer to use than a stove especially for elderly and those who have problems.

Ma does take meds, but still just doesn't think sometimes. She is 60 in May, so she can do as she pleases in her own house. She just doesn't get those lines when at my sister's or my house. My sister and I both agree to supervise them when our folks have the kids. Yesterday, she was going out with the kids, and then decided to make her coffee that she started in the Keurig, which the first one went everywhere because she didn't pay attention and it didn't have the cup taht the K-Cup rests in so the water went everywhere and she didn't seem to know why. I cleaned that up and fixed it, but as she was heading out the door she went to get the coffee with the kids already out. It wasn't just a grab the cup and go, it was a 5 minute ordeal of putting stuff in the coffee cup. She is absent minded like pumping gas, going into pay, being in line, and talking, then forgetting to pay, or buying milk and leaving it behind....getting out and into the car takes forever because she is doing little fiddle things....The more I write the more I feel she needs supervision, but her younger sister is the same way as is their mother. I can't go shopping with any of them. I have a list, I get the list, and I go home. She will have a list, but go up and down every isle and still not get what is on her list. My sister and I just downloaded a GPS tracker app so we can find her when she doesn't respond. Yesterday she left her phone at home and dead. There isn't an app for that.