Trusted Contributor

Re: How to cook lobster so it isn't tough?

On 8/6/2014 Danky said: What do you eat , ONEANDDONE ? BTW...over the last 60 years I have eaten and cooked thousands of lobsters.....I have never heard a " scream" .

I eat vegetables, greens and grain.

Maybe you haven't heard the scream because you are used to it, or the lid covers it.

Super Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Danky said: What do you eat , ONEANDDONE ? BTW...over the last 60 years I have eaten and cooked thousands of lobsters.....I have never heard a " scream" .

Thousands? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I've heard that the "scream" is actually steam escaping from the shell. The part that would bother me is they try to get out of the pot. I couldn't do it.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/6/2014 ennui_too said:

Thousands? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I've heard that the "scream" is actually steam escaping from the shell. The part that would bother me is they try to get out of the pot. I couldn't do it.

I know, right?

Here's a clue....if an animal thrown into boiling water or steamed is trying to get out of the pot, they are suffering, frightened and fighting for their lives.

I'm with you ennui....I couldn't do it.

Honored Contributor

She ne

Geeeesh!! She never said she was cooking live whole lobsters. She said she had frozen tails from Costco .I assume by the time they are down to the tail, and frozen, they are dead! Now I see how these threads get twisted and then poofed.

Respected Contributor

No matter how you cook it,its always tough on the lobster!!!

Honored Contributor

back to the poster's original question: don't over cook it. And for those of you that eat lobster in restaurants, whole ones anyway, it was alive when you ordered it. for the record most of your shell fish are cooked live.
Super Contributor

well, whenever I go fishing, and I hook one, they always try to get away..but I eat them anyway..i guess they suffer..but so do chickens and cows and pigs that we eat...

And certainly lobster tails would indicate previously dead crustaceans! The key is not over cooking them- My point was that, for those who have never had it, steamed lobster is a lot more tender than boiled lobster..

Respected Contributor

I cook them on the grill, I cut out the bottom, pull the meat out and devein it and put it back in the shell. Then I pour clarified butter over it and cook upside down. Takes 6-8 minutes for large lobsters. I put them on with the steak and they generally are done at the same time.

Lobster

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Oneanddone said:

I eat vegetables, greens and grain.

Maybe you haven't heard the scream because you are used to it, or the lid covers it.

And I would never eat JUST veggies, greens and grains.....maybe I haven't heard because I don't listen or I don't care.....IT IS FOOD ! Think cow, pig, sheep, chicken with someone else doing the "dirty" work. Take care !
Regular Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Oneanddone said:
On 8/6/2014 Ladybug724 said:

It bothers me too.... A LOT

I just don't see how you could put a live animal in a pot of boiling water and think it's O.K.

I have never done it and could never do it.

Some say the lobster screams, some say they don't.

I say if you have any nerve endings and you are put into a pot of boiling water, you will scream.

Hi..

Last week I saw a segment on America's Test Kitchen TV Show..................
They were making Lobster Rolls....
They said to put the LOBSTER in the FREEZER .....
(The only problem I have now is that I cannot remember for how long...
I think it was for a short time, just to put the Lobsters in kind of a sleep stage)

They said this was the most humane way as they will not feel anything when
they are put in the boiling water.......

UGH.....Still makes me sick to even think about that though......{#emotions_dlg.crying}

What I always do is have the store steam them for me.
I also have the store split the tail and crack the claws.
Most of the Supermarkets will do that free of charge....

If I had to cook a Lobster myself while it was still alive or
even half-asleep, I do not think I would be able to eat it !!!Kiss