Respected Contributor

Re: How to clean the bathroom sink drain?

put a cup of baking soda then 2 cups of white vinagar and it will really foam up. wait like 15  minutes and dump  a big pan of boiling water in drain and should clear drain. good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie wrote:

You can buy these long plastic things with hooks on the side at Walmart. You stick them down your drain, twirl them around, and pull them out. All the hair comes up with it. This is just one example of them...they work quite well. 

I have a small one of those I had ordered from Drugstore.com when it was in business.  Comes in handy and really works.

Respected Contributor

Do not use those plastic thingy's in your drain.  I tried that and it snapped away from the loop handle and was permanently stuck in my sink drain.

Super Contributor

I've had success with Professor Amos' Drain Cleaner from HSN.  It totally cleared my extremely slow draining bathtub and sink.  Before using it in the tub, I did use one of the stick things mentioned up-thread to remove all the hair (so gross!!).  Now I use Prof.Amos periodically for maintenance and no longer have hair build up.

Valued Contributor

I sure am glad to read this!!!  My kitchen drains are slow and I was going to plunge.  Now I will try the home remedy.  THANKS!!!

I do have a recommendation for the tub.  I buy these white soft plastic drain covers for Walmart for a buck.  They keep all the hair out and they can be bleached to clean them up.

They hang them on those clips they use in the aisles to get impulse buys but they sure work!