Trusted Contributor

I have tried just about everything and every product that says it will clean glass cooktops without scratching, but no success. I have baked-on  black crusty-looking rings around the burners. 

I just saw nano erasers, but fear those will scratch the surface. Has anyone found something that really works to get rid of these black-backed on rings? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to clean glass cooktoop

@geegerbee 

I use a Brillo pad to remove the burnt rings on my glass cooktop.  The key is to use a wet pad with a steady, but light rubbing touch to rub the grime off.  

Scratching comes with bearing down hard on the pad as you rub the area; a light touch will get the job done with no harm to the stove.   

Respected Contributor

Kenmore Cleansing Creme for Smooth Top Ranges will clean and polish. It makes your cooktop look like new. You may need to google it to find a source since Sears has closed most stores. The Sears Hometown Stores website may have it. I am being frugal with the two bottles I have just in case. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee,

I use Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser ,xtra strength and also a non-scratch Scotchbrite sponge if needed.

3M | Scotch-Brite Scrub Sponges

Every time I use the stove top I clean with a sponge with dish liquid and hot water to remove any spots or grease, and then I spray vinegar and wipe with a dry terrycloth. And it all still looks like new.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Get one of these razor-blade scraper tools.

Stanley 1-1/2 in. Razor Scraper 28-500

Then try Barkeepers Friend to remove any residual stuff on the cooktop.

download.jpg

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @geegerbee !  I've had good luck with Bar Keepers Friend, the powder, mixing with enough water to make a paste.  Then buff on and scrub till clean.  We also have a rental with a glass top stove, so it gets more abuse than usual, and I've even taken a razor blade to it.  Surprisingly it didn't scratch and made quick work of the problem.

ETA:  @SilleeMee and I think alike!!!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

I use Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner and one of their Cleaning Pads. If something does not come off I use a straight edge razor. No scratches.

Honored Contributor

Yes razor blades do work and amazingly do not scratch the stove top!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Barkeeper's friend.  They have powder and liquid, and I like the liquid.  A textured sponge makes it easy to get off the burned on food.  I apply it and let it soak in and then most things scrub right off.  I love this stuff and use it for all porcelain in the house too (toilets, tub).  I also have a razor scraper tool that is a lifesaver for the cooktop.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with those that use a razor blade and I follow with Professor Amos Bomb.  It truly works well.  I have used all the glass stove top cleansers but when I use the Bomb by applying with a damp kitchen microfiber dish cloth and wipe dry with a soft kitchen towel it shines like brand new!