Honored Contributor

How to Arrange Your Kitchen - Julia Child

It's too much to post all the photos and story.  I was very suprised at her real life, low-tech kitchen.

Click here if you're interested.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-1.47.23-PM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How to Arrange Your Kitchen - Julia Child

I'd love to cook in her kitchen.  The restaurant professional stove is my favorite thing.

Thanks for posting.

Frequent Contributor

I have seen her kitchen. It was surprisingly humble.  It reminds me that you do not need a new fancy, giant kitchen to be a good cook. Julia was a famous and renowned chef and was happy in her small practical kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

Interesting read!  I had to chuckle when I read that her kitchen table was covered with “practical oilcloth.”  Not too far from your plastic cover, is it?!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@house_cat    Thank you so much for posting this article.  I bookmarked it so I could take my time and read it in it's entirety.   

I love articles that show kitchens that are homey and created to really work in and not just designed for show.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@house_cat 

Interesting read!  I had to chuckle when I read that her kitchen table was covered with “practical oilcloth.”  Not too far from your plastic cover, is it?!

@shoesnbags  I would never compare oilcloth to a plastic cover.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

For her day, that WAS a very high tech kitchen.  It has a Vitamix blender and a Cuisinart.  I was the first person I ever knew who had a Cuisinart--in the mid to late 1970's I'm thinking?  

She had pots and pans that were copper, and Le Creuset, and all sorts of strainers and great knives and things you would never see in an ordinary kitchen at that time.  

But I couldn't stand the clutter in this one!  

Esteemed Contributor

That actual kitchen was (probably still is) displayed at the Smithsonian (maybe American history museum?).  Very interesting, and not that small (imho).

Honored Contributor

Well, that's very interesting.  Look at all the pans!!! Wow.  I've never read her recipe books.  Maybe that should be on a to do list for me.  Hmmmm

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags 

Right?! I can't wait to show DH how Julia and I think alike!

@qualitygal 

I have never owned one of her cookbooks, nor have I ever cooked one of her recipes, but I always loved watching her show. I still watch her baking show from time to time, but it was produced in her later years so she mostly has guest bakers.  Still, I just love her!

~ house cat ~