Respected Contributor

How pandemic changed cooking for the better

[ Edited ]

Excerpt from a Los Angeles Times food article by Ben Mims  that appeared in the Atlanta metro newspaper and probably elsewhere.  It's probably easily found on the internet.

<<Prior to the virus shutdown, by and large, cooking enthusiasts cooked more for pleasure than our sheer obligation, while many others had to cook out of necessity, like parents, caregivers and those in multigenerational households where not cooking is not an option.

But after that day, those of us who were able to enjoy leisurely cooking had to switch to cooking for survival.  The new mission:  Keep the pleasure going in sometthing that now existed in a world temporarily devoid of it.

Suddenly, the audience for cooking magazines and newspaper sections like our own--primarily adventurous and experienced home cooks who enjoy perusing the gourmet aisle in grocery stores or leisurely strolling the paths of farmers markets--swelled with novice cooks who, because of  pandemic-induced shortages and fears of grocery shopping, were more heavily reliant on shelf-  and freezer-stable ingredients.

This new audience needed simply to feed themselves, period.

Across food media, brands had to recalibrate their focus and lean into recipes that required the minimum of skill.  We were all in the same boat now.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,After years of conversations with friends and associates in the food world about how we wished more people cared about cooking, our dream had come true,  though not in the environment we'd hoped.>>

Story goes on to mention the  emergence of previously unknown chefs and home cooks, ethnic and regional cuisines,  and the increased emphasis publications put on explaining the basics of cooking. 

The author expects entertaining, at least on a small scale, to swing back, using new skills honed by home cooks.    And that we all might be more  concerned and knowledgeable about food sourcing and how to sustain ourselves during hard times in the fuure.

Honored Contributor

Re: How pandemic changed cooking for the better

I do think changes are for the better.  No one is forcing advanced cooks to read basic instruction sources.  I just think some people who never cooked before think, hey, this isn't half bad, I'm keeping it up.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One thing changed for me once we stopped eating out at least a few times a week:

I developed a new recognition and appreciation for the quality and convenience of some canned vegetables, which are said to be fresher because canning takes place quickly after harvest, as opposed to shipping and storing fresh vegetables to stores.

Before now, I thought hell would freeze over before I opened a can of vegetables, always preferring fresh or frozen.  Still absolutely will NOT touch canned peas, though.

Now I think I'm better prepared if my fridge/freezer loses electricity or some weather disaster interupts  the normal food supply.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are still cooking the same as we always did. Fast foods not the great. The Pandemic has not changed anything for us except wearing a mask which we stopped doing. Still have to wear it to the doctor's office.

I guess one thing has changed. I always bought in bulk before Covid so buying even more now. LOL

Honored Contributor

We were only 6 mos. into keto when the first COVID cases were reported. We had already reduced our eating out.  We still go out on occasion, but it’s more out of necessity when we’re going to be away.  Our home cooked meals are more enjoyable and relatively quick to prepare.  

Honored Contributor

I'm the complete opposite...I cook for pure obligation than pleasure. I HATE to cook. Yes, we've been eating in because of our state mandates but now that we can eat out, I'd much rather do that...eat out! I've never been fond of cooking. 

"Pure Michigan"