Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

@Enufstuff : Yes: remember the green stamps and Mom was able to purchase so many items for the home. Thanks for the precious memories.

Frequent Contributor

Oh my I've had so many sets of dishes over our 58 years of marriage that I've lost count. Still have my wedding China (purchased 'new' brand noritake for ~$40/set), plus inherited my mom's matching set. Probably had 10-12 different sets of everyday China over the years. Just bought set of green rustic dishes!  

Valued Contributor

My first set was Phaltzgraph wedding set. We remodeled our kitchen totally and everything was brand new so I purchased a complete 15 place settings of Polish Pottery from here and many, many, many other pieces.I have about 800 pieces of it and I use it every day and all of the side pieces as needed. I love them soo much.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

OH my!  DH would have a fit and fall in it!

Our Pfaltzgraff blue and salt set had every piece available and I got the pieces to cook with.  He loves the cereal bowls because they "fit in his hand".  I can only have dishes for dinners. 

I always loved the Pfaltzgraff white, and I will never have a dish with a flower on it!

I always thought this was a happy set!

Wildflower by Franciscan

Franciscan Wildflower

I do have The Franciscan Apple and more recently the Ivy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to enjoy changing my everyday dishes regularly.  I've had several sets of stoneware and Corelle, Pfaltzgraff tea rose, and a set of Fiestaware that I gave one of our kids when they moved out. After being a SAHM when our kids were little, I rejoined the workforce when the last one went to first grade.  Around the same time, I wanted badly to outfit my kitchen with Longaberger traditional blue pattern dishes and bakeware so I became a consultant in order to buy it at a discount. Not only did I get everyday stuff, I bought an extensive set of solid ivory for family dinners in the dining room, and another extensive set of the traditional holly pattern. I haven't bought any new stuff since around '97 or '98.  The sad thing is none of the kids want any of it. I'm sure they're going to be swearing about me when they have to get rid of everything once I kick the bucket. 

Trusted Contributor

I hadn't bought any new dinnerware for almost 25 years. 

That changed last month.  Macy's was having a very good sale and extra 20 percent off.  So decided to goodwill all my old stuff.

I have always wanted Fiestaware and ended up getting a 6 piece set (I prefer white) of various sized plates and bowls.  Got a few different sized serving bowls and platters.  Decided to do a splash of color with those.  That will last me at least another 25 years.  

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff Singapore Bird is so beautiful!  I'd have to at least be eating off of those salad plates!  Snacks and treats and such!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  The pattern had to grow on me. I did not choose them.

My grandmother chose them and surprised me. I did use them for some special occasions. I even made a soup tureen to match. I handpainted the design in my ceramics class.

Before I packed them away in the 90's, I had an Asian

dinner party and used them. All the food was from my recipes

for Chinese and Japanese food. I made a giant Chinese lantern

to cover my hanging stained glass lampshade, I crafted an origami piece for each guest and made invitations using Chinese screen notecards. Each guest received a little figurine

of their Chinese Zodiac animal, their own chopsticks and chopstick rest. Napkin holders were bracelets made from wooden beads with Chinese symbols. At an Asian shop nearby,

I bought ceramic soup spoons. My floral centerpiece was Ikebana style, very simple lines. We had Chinese recorded music.

In the 90's and early 2000's I hosted many theme parties.

It was such fun. Now I am tired and all partied out.

My dining room is small and three china closets are full.

There is just no room for Singapore Bird dishes and so much more that is now packed away.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have had 4 sets of everyday dishes during our 41 years of marriage. Most have been Dansk dishes. I still have my full set for 12 wedding China, along with Old County Roses China. The most China I have/collect are Christmas China. Love the holidays and all the different dishes and serving pieces with snow and Christmas scenes. Thankfully I have the room to store it all!

Honored Contributor

I have quite a few sets but I use them all.  There has only been one set that I gave away when it was replaced with something else.

As an aside I should mention I never use a chipped dish.  If something chips, it's gone.  (Either under a plant pot or in the trash.)