Honored Contributor

Re: How often did your family eat out when you were a kid?

@Mothertrucker

My father loved Bob's Big Boy.  His grandchildren used to complain they had the menu memorized!

I forgot about Phillipes, home of the french dip.  I actually never liked those sandwiches with soggy bread!

Honored Contributor

We went out to eat every Friday night, then we'd go for ice cream! Some of the best memories of my childhood/teenage years!
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@momtochloe

We need to research what happened to Jack in the Box when we are bored.   Do you remember BIG BOY with the Big Guy out from in the paid overalls.  Those were the days. 

@INDIANA BONES  @momtochloe

Jack in the Box is alive and very well in California!

When I lived on the East Coast I sometimes saw abandoned fast-food restaurant shells that looked like JITB. So I guess they were there at one time? When I returned to CA the first place I went to was JITB box for two greasy tacos and onion rings, - my high school favorite foods. :-) Oh, and lots of hot sauce with that.

I know of at least 1 Bob's Big Boy restaurant still around in Pasadena, CA (or thereabouts). The dressings used for salads or on the burgers are available in stores (in CA anyway).

Hope that helps!

I am jealous.  Would love to find the sauce from Big Boy.  Will look on line for it.  

Happy eating!

Trusted Contributor

We would usually eat out on Friday nights, as that is when my parents would take care of their errands and shopping, and that is when they would take my sister and I with them.

Saturday night was usually take-out night after church.

Other than that, my Mom would cook or we would go to another family member's home to eat, and going out to eat in a restaurant was usually reserved for someone's birthday, or another type of celebration.

Honored Contributor

Usually just while we were on vacation, otherwise maybe 3 or 4 times a year. My mom and I were just talking about this last week, and I said so many people eat out now instead of cooking and I have noticed that a lot of kids won't eat regular food, unless it's McDonald's or Burger King,etc....She said you know we never did much eating out when you kids were little, back then everyone's Mom or Dad cooked and we ate at the table as a family, which I think is sorely missing these days! 

Respected Contributor

I was born in 1956.  Maybe twice a month we got DQ ice cream. My parents would call us in the house from playing to tell us so the neighbor kids wouldn't be jealous.  LOL   I can only remember a handful of times we got to go out and eat.  One place we went was casual dining overlooking a river.  It was really a treat to get to go there.  Thinking back it was probably a sleezy place that served food and beer.  LOL  We always had catfish and fries since that was their special.  We lived in a little town, so there wasn't any McDonald's or anything like that.

I didn't even know what pizza was until they served it at the school cafeteria.  It was cut in squares.  LOL  I gave mine away until I learned to like it.  Everybody was my best friend the days they served pizza.

When I was in HS and earned my own money, that's when we started discovering the burger joints, etc.

It was fun to read everyones childhood experiencess!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On our birthday's only. (the kids) No fast food.

Respected Contributor

I'm 61, so I grew up in the 50's & 60's and hardly ever!   My mother was Italian and was the best cook ever!  She made everything from scratch and baked twice a week.  Going out to restaurant was a very special treat and not done often, maybe just a few times a year.  Oh, it brings back fond memories, I can close my eyes and see her cooking those fabulous meals in that very modest kitchen.  My parents are both gone now and while we rarely ate out, never went on vacations, they couldn't afford it, they were the best loving parents anyone could ask for.  Someone once told that the best gift you can give your child is a happy childhood.  I felt loved, safe and secure.  I gave my two children that same wonderful gift.