Honored Contributor

Re: How often did your family eat out when you were a kid?

The first fast food restaurants in this area were Borden Burger, Tastee Freeze, and Burger Chef; all have been out of business for many years.  

Honored Contributor

Every Saturday.  I grew up in NYC, my Dad was a subway conductor, my mom a school teacher, very meager salaries of the 60's and 70's.  It was usually Chinese food.  We ate in the restaurant, no take-out for my Dad, usually sharing just two entrees between the four of us.  It was all much fancier back then.  My parents thought it was always important to reinforce "public" manners, and how to speak up and be polite by letting me and my sister do the ordering.  I haven't thought about that for years, thank you for that memory.

Valued Contributor

I grew up in a rural area, so there were not a lot of choices locally. We probably ate out once a week or so at local places, as my mother hated to cook. I actually love to cook now but really don't have the time to put into and it's funny but I don't cook any of the meals my mother used to cook (well except spaghetti but I make mine different).

We still have a few Big Boy restaurants around  here, although I haven't been to in a long time. I used to love their hot fudge cake dessert.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

For the record, no human being (child or adult) should ever get "whacked." No exceptions.

In the day when more people got 'whacked', they were better behaved, more respectful, and understood right from wrong. 

Not nearly enough 'whacking' going on these days.

I disagree.  My parents and grandmother were very big on manners in every area of life, and I taught them to my daughter.  I was always getting stopped by teachers and the mothers of other kids, telling me my girl had the best manners they had ever seen.

I never whacked her when teaching her and I never yelled at her if she got it wrong.  Consistency and role modeling are all you need.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne. Me too ! China town was such a treat, my older sister used to get to choose on her birthday, the "NewHungFar" and their paper wrapped chicken...in Pasadena, Monty's and  the Stuffed Shirt...Maldonado's..The Velvet Turtle?....there was an Italian place called Luigi's...my Dad loved it, it had a giant cow (for some reason) on the roof.. The Ship Room at the Huntington Sheraton...

Lawry's "Great Scot" in Arcadia, The Derby, we ate out a lot, it seems...

Bobs was not a place our family went, but I used to go a lot with friends....and a place called the Headliner Coffee Shop in Siera Madre...

the good old days...

Honored Contributor

Eating out for us was usually just going to one of the Aunts or our Grandmother's house after we all got out of the same church on Sunday's.  

If it was summer we would splurge and drive a bit further to the family lakehouse and spend the day out there eating, swimming and skiing. 

Sometimes after church on Sunday nights the family who owned a "family restaurant" in our town would open it up and we all (my aunts, uncles and cousins along with my family)

would settle in for big plates of french fries and cokes for us kids and coffee and pie for the adults.  Did that about once a month or so.

Looking back we really did not do much eating out but I have so many memories of long Sunday afternoons and all holidays with my whole extended family.  It was great.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

This is a nice thread, I'm so glad the OP started it, I've loved reading the responses.

My parents loved camping, we went a couple of times a year.  We'd get up at 4am and get on the road, stopping about 6am at a diner along the way where I was allowed to order anything I wanted.  I loved it, and have loved going to diners ever since where I almost always order breakfast food no matter what time of day it is, lol.

My father did not like going to movies but he loved eating at restaurants.  His favorite was Italian but we also went for Mexican and Chinese food  along with steak houses. 

My mother was an incredible cook and baker, but they loved going out.  Many times, out and about during the day, we'd stop and go to a diner just for coffee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @house_cat,

I am in NoCal. I don't remember eating at a Big Boy until I was married in the late 60's. All BoB's around us closed several years ago.  I think Flames is in there now.  They kept the Big Boy statue out front of Flames for a year or so after they moved in, as it was landmark...then it went back to somewhere in SoCal

I was in Burbank visiting my GD a couple months ago, and we went to the Bob's Big Boy there. They still have the drive-in units in the back.  They are employee parking, but it is fun to look at.  They have the original menu posted inside.  Burgers were 19 cents, and at one time they served a tuna sandwich for 10 cents.  Those were the days, huh?

It wasn't bad at all.  I don't eat meat, but I had a turkey burger, and it was good.  For 9.95 I got this huge turkey burger, a big salad served before entree, ton of fries, and they garnish the plate with a homemade pickle, some olives and a cherry Pepper?  I had to take half of everything back to hotel.  My husband and 3 grand kids got a grilled chicken sandwich, wow!  that thing was huge.  My grandson ordered some burger with bacon and the kitchen sink.  Geesh, the thing was almost 6 inches tall!!  I hear the service and  can be erratic, but it was good decent food, reasonable when we have a boat load of kids with us.

Esteemed Contributor

Noel7 --

i think we actually agree. I totally believe that children should be corrected when necessary and certainly provided guidance from parents. I strongly believe, however, that this should be done WITHOUT hitting your children. Hitting people (children or adults) should not occur for any reason. Sadly, there are some people who believe hitting people is OK, even desirable....even to people that they claim to love...like their children.

Respected Contributor

Practically never.  Only if we were on the road somewhere which wasn't often or went to the annual school picnic at the amusement park.  Take outs weren't around then.  The only McDonald's wasn't built until I was about 12 and it was 10 miles away.