Valued Contributor

Re: How often did your family eat out when you were a kid?

[ Edited ]

Once a week. A family friend was a chef at an Italian restaurant in our neighborhood. His food was AMAZING. He would sometimes come to our home and cook for us. Besides going out for Italian food, we would occasionally eat in a neighborhood restaurant that served premium beef and another one that was known for seafood. We would also go out for Chinese food.

Respected Contributor

Never did I ever.  My parents didn't have money for going out, and my dad was a meat and potatoes guy that wouldn't eat anything else.  I didn't even know what pizza was until I was about 14 and went to a pizzeria with a church group.  After that I thought Chef BoyR Dee in the box was a treat.  I found LaChoy in my 20's.  I discovered tacos when I was 18 and had my own money.  Still, I only go out to eat for special occasions.  My kids, however, eat out most of the time.  Didn't learn that from me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We didn't eat out often, but when we did it was a nice place with white tablecloths and cloth napkins.  My dad didn't do fast food, but once in a blue moom we could order burgers and handmade shakes from this one particular diner.  Pizza was never a meal, but an occasional treat for a Saturday night. The only other fast food exception was when we were on vacation and Dad would take us to an A & W drive-in.  We ate differently than people do today.  Mom cooked dinner every night and everyone drank a glass of whole milk with their meal.  If it wasn't a casserole, dinner was some type of meat (no fish), either potatoes or rice, and then a vegetable, sometimes some canned crescent rolls.  Hotdogs or smokie links were a Saturday night supper . We didn't have dessert every night, but sometimes she'd make jello, pudding or Danish dessert.  Sunday dinner was around 1PM, when we got home from church, and it was usually a beef roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, a vegetable and a simple dessert.  Sometimes she'd make strawberry shortcake for a Sunday dessert.  She'd never buy the shortcakes, she'd make her own from Bisquick.  I never even heard of a taco, or ate one, until I was a teen.   We didn't keep a stash of pop in the house either.  If we were having company on the weekend, my mom would get a carton of bottled pop in her grocery order and the kids would get a small glass poured for them.  No one ever had their own bottle until they became a teenager.  

Super Contributor

Very seldom did we eat out when I was a kid. We always used to say that my dad was spoiled because my mom was a very good cook. Even going to McDonald's was a big deal, and only done about twice a year. Pizza was usually from our favorite pizza parlor near my grandparents house, and we would have it occasionally when our family was there helping them with some chores.Once in a blue moon would we go to a fancy restaurant for a special occasion. My dad had this one particular restaurant that was his favorite and he would always order prime rib. No Chinese take out....ever. KFC rarely, but just the chicken; my mom would make the sides. Do I feel that I missed much? No.

Honored Contributor

When my 3 girls were young we ate out at least once a week.  When the got older we at out usually at least 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes more.

My late husband hated fast food so they'd be at really nice restaurants.  When we traveled we at at 4 and 5 star restaurants.  I was just talking about this (reminiscing) with my family these past few days.  We were laughing about how my girls always ordered chicken fingers and french fries and the friend's child we traveled with would order 'surf and turf' so we got to split the bill since their one kid equalled 3 chicken fingers!  Ha!

My late husband loved good food.  When we went to the beach each summer, he had a Chef from a well known restaurant in Va come with us.  The guy was his friend and he cooked all of our meals.  That's how the guy reimbursed us for his part of staying at the cottage.

I used to say, "Why does it taste so good when you cook it?"  He would say, "It's because I use a lot of butter, salt and seasonings".  He'd take a huge tenderloin and ask each person how they wanted their Filet Mignon cooked.  Everyone wanted something different.  He'd throw the thing on the grill (you know how at the beach those grills look like they're 100 years old) and the thing would come out perfect!  This was cottages at Nags Head.  We went every summer for 30 some years!

Now that I live alone with 2 cats, I still eat out a lot.  I don't cook at all.

I do think it is healthier if you eat at home mainly to control what is put into the food.

Honored Contributor

Virtually never for a variety of reasons.  There were really no decent restaurants in the little farm town where I grew up and no fast food outlets, no ethnic foods, no reason to want to go. 

There was one restaurant that was in one of my father's corny jokes though.  He'd ask "Want to go out to eat?"  Someone would say "Yes." and he'd suggest we go to The Take-a-Peek Inn.  A real restaurant just out of town - and we probably could have afforded to look, but certainly not to eat.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

We didn't eat out often, but when we did it was a nice place with white tablecloths and cloth napkins.  My dad didn't do fast food, but once in a blue moom we could order burgers and handmade shakes from this one particular diner.  Pizza was never a meal, but an occasional treat for a Saturday night. The only other fast food exception was when we were on vacation and Dad would take us to an A & W drive-in.  We ate differently than people do today.  Mom cooked dinner every night and everyone drank a glass of whole milk with their meal.  If it wasn't a casserole, dinner was some type of meat (no fish), either potatoes or rice, and then a vegetable, sometimes some canned crescent rolls.  Hotdogs or smokie links were a Saturday night supper . We didn't have dessert every night, but sometimes she'd make jello, pudding or Danish dessert.  Sunday dinner was around 1PM, when we got home from church, and it was usually a beef roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, a vegetable and a simple dessert.  Sometimes she'd make strawberry shortcake for a Sunday dessert.  She'd never buy the shortcakes, she'd make her own from Bisquick.  I never even heard of a taco, let alone knew what it was, until I was a teen.   We didn't keep a stash of pop in the house either.  If we were having company on the weekend, my mom would get a carton of bottled pop in her grocery order and the kids would get a small glass poured for them.  No one ever had their own bottle until they became a teenager.  

Are you my sister?  I think we grew up in the same house.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We never went out to eat, and fast food places had not been "thought about" yet in my childhood decades. We did have a place to buy ice cream in the area.  The ice cream place was not an " eat in" place and involved cones that we took with us.  I still do not go out to eat much and never have fast food.

Esteemed Contributor

I did as a kid. My parents and I ate out quite a bit but I am 10 and 9 yrs younger than my brother and sister and they didn't. My father changed jobs and started working in the private sector after I was born so my brother and sister used to tell me how good I had it! lol!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

For the record, no human being (child or adult) should ever get "whacked." No exceptions.