Honored Contributor

How long to pan sear my steaks?

I bought two 1 inch filet mignon to cook tonight. 

I'll be using my LeCreuset oval skillet.

Can someone please advise me on how long to cook them on each side to achieve a med/well result?  

Thank you so much.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How long to pan sear my steaks?

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I bought two 1 inch filet mignon to cook tonight. 

I'll be using my LeCreuset oval skillet.

Can someone please advise me on how long to cook them on each side to achieve a med/well result?  

Thank you so much.

@house_cat

We pan fried in cast iron skillet on med-high heat for 4 mins per side. DH said our filets were a littler thicker than 1" He found the info on Blue Jean Chef's site. YUM!!! They are so good.

Sautéed Filet Mignon

Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence

Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • olive or vegetable oil
  • 2 filet mignon steaks ( or boneless strip steaks or rib-eye or sirloin steaks), at least 1-inch thick
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
  1. Heat a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add a little olive oil to the skillet. Place the steaks in the skillet, season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook without turning for 4 minutes. Flip the steaks, season again and cook for another 4 minutes for medium rare, 5 minutes for medium, or longer for well done.
  2. Once the proper degree of doneness has been reached, remove the steaks to a plate and let them rest.
  3. Slice the steaks if desired, or serve whole.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.meredithlaurence.com/recipes/sauteed-filet-mignon/

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

Thank you for taking the time to post.  It seems like cooking steaks to med/well is against the law and not usually addressed in recipes and tutorials.  I think since mine are only 1 inch thick, I'll cook them 5 min per side.  If it's too rare for DH, I can slice his and massacre it on the skillet.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@Nightowlz

Thank you for taking the time to post.  It seems like cooking steaks to med/well is against the law and not usually addressed in recipes and tutorials.  I think since mine are only 1 inch thick, I'll cook them 5 min per side.  If it's too rare for DH, I can slice his and massacre it on the skillet.

@house_cat DH said ours were a little over 1" thick & cooked 4 mins per side. It was just right for us. We like it really pink but not bloody. Thermometer showed about 141° when DH took them out of the pan.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

Thank hubby for me - that's good information.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Nightowlz

Thank hubby for me - that's good information.

@house_cat You are welcome. You will want yours more than 141°. We also let it rest a few mins before eating.

Contributor

Lately, my best steak  has been in the air fryer. I usually do 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the steak. Salt and pepper and let it rest. Delish.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

I'm sorry if it's crude to post my dinner... but I wanted you to see the results.  I could tell after 5 min that it needed more time, so I gave them 7 min per side and they turned out EXACTLY as we like them!

I slathered them in butter that I had processed with roasted garlic.  It blew my calorie count off the charts for today, but it was so delicious.  The only time I have steak is when we go to a steakhouse for my birthday each year, but now that I've seen that I can do it myself, I'll be having them a little more often.

Thank you for the technical advice as well as the moral support!

IMG_7057.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

that looks delicious, but definitely doesnt look medium well......more medium rare to medium. medium well would have very very little pink and no red in it at all.

we like ours medium rare and i usually do about 4-5 minites on each side.

wish you had some extras. Smiley Wink

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/08/10/81/85/15.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Nightowlz

I'm sorry if it's crude to post my dinner... but I wanted you to see the results.  I could tell after 5 min that it needed more time, so I gave them 7 min per side and they turned out EXACTLY as we like them!

I slathered them in butter that I had processed with roasted garlic.  It blew my calorie count off the charts for today, but it was so delicious.  The only time I have steak is when we go to a steakhouse for my birthday each year, but now that I've seen that I can do it myself, I'll be having them a little more often.

Thank you for the technical advice as well as the moral support!

IMG_7057.JPG

@house_cat Just checking to see if you posted how your steaks turned out. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take a bite. I'm so hungry. All I have ate today is a banana.  Glad they turned out.

I forgot there is leftover filet mignon chunks left in the fridge. DH cut up a whole tenderloin so we had leftover chunks to cook on the grill. Now I don't have to wait until dinner.