Trusted Contributor

Re: How long past-date would you eat a container of yogurt?

I tend to regard expiration dates as guidelines, it's way more important to use your eyes and sense of smell and your common sense when assessing food, at least it is to me.

If something is tightly sealed and refrigerated or kept at the right temperature and looks and smells fresh (as well as a small taste test), I don't throw it away because it's past the date.

There was just something on TV regarding this question, and that's what the (so-called) expert also said, these dates are guidelines, not anything written in stone.

I do pay attention to these dates when buying perishables from the stores, though. I try to buy the ones with the farthest away dates.

Trusted Contributor

I would trash it! Your stomach will thank you for not playing that game of roulette.
#IAmTeamWen
Super Contributor

Let your nose be your guide! Maybe it's OK after all this time? If it's not OK, your nose will tell you!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Valued Contributor

My dd's dairy man told her that yogurt is good for at least a month past that date on the package, and that those dates are just for them to have a reference in rotating their stock. They eat yogurt that's past the package date all the time.

Frequent Contributor

I ate a Fage this weekend (3/22) that had a date of 3/7.

Tasted fine to me.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't even consider it. I'm very picky about freshness dates.

Respected Contributor

I would toss it, I don't like taking chances, I am the same way with milk or other dairy products. I really don't care for dairy products much anyways except for cheese. I got so sick the first time I tried greek yogurt. Never again.

Super Contributor

I agree w/ the posters who say go ahead & eat it! Not a biggie, & Crazed4Gems is right - let your nose be your guide. But I'm betting that it's AOK.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Crazed4Gems said:

Let your nose be your guide! Maybe it's OK after all this time? If it's not OK, your nose will tell you!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I agree with this advice. Remember, many years ago we didn't even have those dates stamped on products; we relied on our own good sense. I have eaten yogurt that's way past the "best by" date and I'm still here to talk about it. (I won't tell you how long past so I don't shock anyone, but the six months is not a stretch.)

Trusted Contributor

There is an eatbydate.com web site that gives you info about all types of foods. According to that site, it depends on the type of yogurt - with fruit or without, Greek, drinkable, reduced fat, regular, opened, unopened. Some is ok 1-2 weeks and some is longer.

You might check a site like this one in the future. It is probably more accurate than what we all think is the right answer.