Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you leave your coffee on for?

If you switch to Keurig, please use a reusable filter. It's better - much better - for the environment.

Super Contributor

On 3/25/2015 happygal said:

I turn the machine off right away. If a cup needs reheating, I do it on beverage setting on the micro or for just a few seconds. Cannot stand burned up coffee taste. When I see those glass carafes sitting on the burners in restaurants, I never order coffee (unless desperate of course!)

Me too, exactly that. Mostly in our household we now brew individual cups or use a press, but if it were a gathering I'd use a coffee machine and turn off that heat. - Bird

Respected Contributor

On 3/25/2015 ValuSkr said:

If you switch to Keurig, please use a reusable filter. It's better - much better - for the environment.

And much, much, much cheaper. I put the grinds in the compost. I have four filters and rotate between them so they can dry out, and I just knock the grounds out.

Super Contributor

I have a Gevalia coffee maker. Turns itself off. I don't pay any attention, so I don't know ho long it's on before auto cut-off.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink much coffee. I sometimes like a cup of tea in the evening. Whenever I want either one I use my Keurig.

I love it. I've given them as gifts and every time I upgrade I give them away.

Honored Contributor

bought a keurig a few years ago and didnt like it at all.....any coffee tastes like colored water to me......nothing was strong enough, not even jet fuel. my s/o now uses it for loose tea every morning OR for hot water.

i switched back to my mr coffee. i brew 4 cups at a time. if i want more i just make a new batch, but usually water to the four cup mark gets me a large mug worth and about half a mug more. good quality coffee also makes a HUGE difference in taste.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I use a stove top perc. I don't leave coffee on heat. Warm it in micro by the cup.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

I do not leave my coffee in the coffee maker. As soon as it's finished brewing, I transfer it into a stainless steel carafe where it stays nice and hot for hours as well as retaining that "fresh brewed" taste.

You can get carafes everywhere (I got mine at Ace Hardware), but use a stainless steel lined carafe rather than a glass lined one. The ones glass lined can break if dropped and often lose the vacuum seal leading to leakage inside the vessel (thermos bottles are notorious for that).

The longer you leave coffee on the burner, the more it develops a burned taste because the aromatic oils can't tolerate the high heat.

On top of having better tasting coffee, you'll save electricity, too.

Hope this helps.

We must be the change we want to see. M. Gandhi.
Honored Contributor

Need to invest in a carafe! Thank you ladies!!!

Respected Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Desertdi said:

I use a stove top perc. I don't leave coffee on heat. Warm it in micro by the cup.

I used one of those in college, but now have an electric one as the stove makes the house, open floor plan, super hot in the summer. I alternate between my Keurig, percolator and AreoPress depending on how I feel. I mainly use the percolator for making more than one cup for when I'm working from home. I bought a vintage, porcelain, electric percolator from Ebay for mine. The new ones are pretty and have keep warm functions, but I wanted a porcelain one.