Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you leave your coffee on for?

On 3/25/2015 suzieQ4me said:

I drink my 2 cups of coffee per day within 30 minutes after it finishes brewing, so I never have a burnt or stale taste to my coffee.

Same here as well. My machine is a 4 cup and I am lucky if I can squeeze a full two cups out of each pot. Still perfect when you live alone and cut way back on caffeine years ago.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I don't brew coffee in a jug, I put a Folger's coffee bag in a mug and microwave it for two minutes. I leave it to go cold, for a couple of hours, then microwave it again. It's a one-person serving, and doesn't taste stewed or burned.

DH pulls faces and calls it gross.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think it tastes good after it has sat in the pot that long. I usually just make enough for us. On the other hand my husband has had coffee that was left in the pot over night and he says it tastes fine.

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

I have a keurig.....before keurig...I never left my coffee sit for more then 15 to 20 minutes...enough time to drink the second cup....I hate coffee that sits ...horrible taste....

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't drink it after 4 hours on the warmer. Because I don't drink lots of coffee all at once and hate wasting coffee OR drinking coffee that's been on the warmer, I opted for a Keurig. On a typical day, I only make one actual cup of coffee, but I use my Keurig to make fresh iced tea, hot tea, or the occasional hot chocolate. In the summer, I use my Keurig way more for iced tea than for coffee. I either stuff some tea bags in the brewer and run that over a big plastic cup full of ice or shoot the hot water into a measuring cup with two tea bags and let it steep in there, then pour over a plastic cup full of ice.

Valued Contributor

I leave it for twenty minutes after that it gets dumped.

Respected Contributor

Coffee develops a bitter taste when it sits over 20 minutes.

KatieB

Respected Contributor

I turn the machine off right away. If a cup needs reheating, I do it on beverage setting on the micro or for just a few seconds. Cannot stand burned up coffee taste. When I see those glass carafes sitting on the burners in restaurants, I never order coffee (unless desperate of course!)

Contributor

Before I got a Keurig, I used a Bunn. As soon as the coffee finished brewing I put it in a stainless steel carafe. If you love coffee, you'll find out that after 5 minutes on warm it starts to become lousy. If you don't have a carafe or want to buy one, put it in a thermos. Will keep your coffee warm and fresh for hours.
Frequent Contributor

I saw a documentary on Dunkin' Donuts and they do not leave their coffee after 18 minutes -- time to make a fresh pot! Who knew?