Respected Contributor

Re: How long do you leave your coffee on for?

On 3/25/2015 puddytat2 said:

I do not leave my coffee in the coffee maker. As soon as it's finished brewing, I transfer it into a stainless steel carafe where it stays nice and hot for hours as well as retaining that "fresh brewed" taste.

You can get carafes everywhere (I got mine at Ace Hardware), but use a stainless steel lined carafe rather than a glass lined one. The ones glass lined can break if dropped and often lose the vacuum seal leading to leakage inside the vessel (thermos bottles are notorious for that).

The longer you leave coffee on the burner, the more it develops a burned taste because the aromatic oils can't tolerate the high heat.

On top of having better tasting coffee, you'll save electricity, too.

Hope this helps.

That reminds me that I do have a glass lined one that I used when I was traveling a lot for work. I didn't want to dump money on poor coffee while I was on the road. You are right about the glass being delicate, but it does work so well. I'll look into a stainless steel version since my SS travel mug keeps things hot or cold for hours! It is by Thermos. They have made great leaps in that technology!

I want to add that I do hate wasting good coffee. That is one of the few purchases that I do buy brand in. I can be a bit of a coffee snob since I drink it black. That really is throwing money down the drain.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a coffee aficianado, I just like plain old coffee with cream and sugar (or sweetener)... never been to Starbucks. But I have a 10-year old Gevalia coffeemaker - I make several cups in the morning, then turn it off and leave it. If I want a cup later, I just heat it in the microwave, and it tastes just as good as it did in the morning! Maybe I have strange tastebuds.... {#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

That's what is good about a Keurig, always fresh!!

Respected Contributor

I have a small, 4 cup coffee make for everyday use. It's just the two of us and a full pot makes two big mugs. So there's never anything left in the pot but if I happen to be home alone when I make coffee, I'd toss it after it after an hour, two at the most. I hate that burned coffee taste.

Frequent Contributor

We bought a Farberware percolator from Ebay and leave it on all day. If we leave the house, we unplug it, but otherwise we just leave it on. The last cup of coffee made in this great coffeemaker is as good as the first. We have the 8 cup for everyday use for the two of us, but also have the 12 cup for when we need to make more.

If anyone researches them on Ebay, be sure and see if they are made in the USA. Reviews of those made in China are not very good. The older ones are made in the USA. If it doesn't say, I would continue looking. There's usually quite a few to look over and read about.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 debc said:

Fresh is a perk for Keurigs. Putting it in a preheated SS thermos would also keep it from that burnt taste. My friend bought one of the Mr. Coffee thermos pots and loves it. She won't drink coffee that's been sitting on a burner for an hour even.

Um NO! A ""perk for Keurig"" is polluting our environment with those wasteful plastic cups! I would never use a Keurig for that alone!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Keurig here, too. I'm really the only one in the family who drinks coffee regularly and I usually drink one mug per day. I never drank coffee at home because I'd never finish a full pot, or even half a pot. Now that we have the Keurig, I make it every day.

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2015 ID2 said:
On 3/25/2015 debc said:

Fresh is a perk for Keurigs. Putting it in a preheated SS thermos would also keep it from that burnt taste. My friend bought one of the Mr. Coffee thermos pots and loves it. She won't drink coffee that's been sitting on a burner for an hour even.

Um NO! A "perk for Keurig" is polluting our environment with those wasteful plastic cups! I would never use a Keurig for that alone! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I use the my k-cups for my own coffee grind. The premade K-Cups are expensive, plus I have limited stock in my stores, so that means I would have to order it online. I just use my coffee and put the grinds in the compost! This is much cheaper and Earth friendly! I've used the same cups for years now, especially since I started with two of the original My K-Cups since they were the only ones that fit the darned thing to begin with. Then the other versions started popping up. I have 6 that I use and allow the used one to dry and the grinds come out really well then.

Not applicable

Many coffee makers with auto shut off turn off after 2 hrs., after that the coffee gets bitter.
Respected Contributor

We're Keurig family and wouldn't go back to other types of brewers. When we used coffee makers that make a pot at a time, we ended up tossing a lot of it. So, the Keurig is best for us.