Super Contributor

Re: How long do you keep leftovers?

Depends on what it is. I pretty much have a three day rule...
Respected Contributor

I don't keep left overs anymore because I end throwing them out unless it is something like roast or chicken which I make into sandwiches the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was single, I would make enough food to last 3 or 4 days. My schedule (work and social) wasn't forgiving enough for me to cook daily.

Now that I'm married, DH is the kitchen trash can. We don't have leftovers no matter how big the dish is.

I take that back: beans are the exception. I will make a pot of beans on Sunday and they will last close to a week.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

3 days if it came from a store - ready made. 4 days if I made it.

Honored Contributor

As so many others have said, it depends on what it is, but in general, the 48 hour rule is just wasteful (if you are throwing it away rather than freezing it).

We keep our fridge plenty cold, leftovers aren't left sitting out beyond the time it takes to eat the meal, and things that need heated are always reheated to very hot.

Some fresh things, like a fresh fruit salad, or fresh homemade coleslaw have a 24 to 48 hour window for me, because they turn dark and mushy, but much of what we make is often used up to 6 days later.