Honored Contributor

How long do YOU cook fresh green beans?

I like mine barely cooked, but DH and my oldsters like them cooked beyond recognition.

How do you prepare fresh green beans?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How long do YOU cook fresh green beans?

Like you, but with almonds, olive oil and sea salt.

Valued Contributor

Not too crunchy, but not mushy! My dh steams them.
Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 lolakimono said:

Like you, but with almonds, olive oil and sea salt.

If I had my way, I'd blanch them about two minutes then into ice water. I'd drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. I think they should have some pop when you eat them. I 'm making them tonight and the thought of mushy green beans makes me want to cry. Is this the way you do it?

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

It honestly depends on how I'm serving them. If I'm making a salad, or in the mood for crunch, I barely steam them. If I'm preparing them soul food style, I cook them for longer. I like green beans most any way they can be served.

Honored Contributor

I saute in olive oil and add a little chicken broth if they are getting too brown before they are cooked enough.

BF would eat them raw, but with TMJ I need them to be a bit cooked.

I can't eat green beans when they are canned, or cooked to the point that they aren't green. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Bleh!

Honored Contributor

I use Goya pork bullion and I cook them until a fork easily pierces them. Hate mush!

Respected Contributor

I like to steam them. I like them to have a crunch and be bright green. I always cook a lot so I have left overs. I like to eat those cold with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I steam mine for about 6 or 7 minites max - sometimes less is I forget to turn the burner on!

If I had someone eating with me who liked them less crisp, it's easy to remove a serving with my tongs and then cook the rest for a few more minutes to satisfy their taste. I like my veggies pretty plain - maybe just a pinch of fresh lemon or a tiny bit of butter.

Respected Contributor

I cook them within an inch of their life.