Valued Contributor

Re: How do you soften butter quickly?

@Scooby Doo  You are the winner!!!   Best answer of the day!!!!!   LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

@wismisswrote:

The other night I was making something and needed softened butter, but only had butter in the refrigerator.  I used my vegetable peeler and "peeled" the hard butter.  It softened quickly and I was able to complete the recipe.

Do you have a technique for quickly softening butter?

@wismiss  Put boiling water in a bowl, or use microwave, empty the water and invert the bowl over the butter, works like a charm, right out of the freezer even.

Valued Contributor

I just cut the butter in small pieces depending on how fast I want to use it and sometimes I mash the small pieces with a fork.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby DooYour secret is safe with me !! You silly thing !!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

microwave it for 20 seconds.

Trusted Contributor

I put mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  If I'm making biscuits or pie crust I use a grater and grate it in.

Honored Contributor

I take butter straight from the freezer and grate it with my box grater.  

It may take a ittle more mixing to cream it, but it works every time.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I'm planning to make a yellow squash/zucchini/onion casserole tonight. While reviewing all the different recipes I've collected for this dish over the years, found an easy way to melt  butter that will need to go into the casserole.

Normally would  microwave ithe butter, but the recipe suggested draining the briefly-boiled vegetables, still keeping them in the pot, and then throwing the cold or room temp butter on top of the hot mixture while getting together the rest of the casserole.

Now why didn't I think of that, instead of dirtying a separate bowl to melt the butter?  No wonder I use so many utensils and dishes just to cook one meal.

Honored Contributor

I use Kerry Gold butter & a butter boat. I leave it on my counter so we always have soft fresh butter.

Honored Contributor

Depending on how soft and just what you are doing with it, I have take frozen butter and used a grater to grate it like cheese. 

Works great in certain applications.