Contributor

Re: How do you prepare butternut and acorn squash?

My mom makes butternut squash and apple bake. Cut approx. 2 lbs squash, remove seeds and fibers, and then peel it. Cut the uncooked squash into 1/2 inch slices. Stir together: 1/4 c. melted butter and 1 tablespoon of flour, 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Arrange squash in ungreased baking dish. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle sugar mixture over top. Cover with foil and bake 50-60 minutes at 350 F or until squash is tender,

Frequent Contributor

Butternut squash I actually just fixed. My recipe is very simple but delicious. Cube your squash, after you have peeled it. Place in boiling, slightly salted water and cook till tender. Then mash with spoon, adding 1/2 stick of butter and either white or brown sugar to taste. That's it.
Super Contributor

Ladies, thank you all for taking the time to share your recipes. They all sound wonderful, can't wait to try some of them!

Respected Contributor

Nanny: lots of great ideas here. Just know that the shell/skin on both Acorn and Butternut squash are very hard. I just cut in half, take out the seeds and roast cut side down with a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pan. Then I season, and or mash, after it's cooked. Much easier that way.

Respected Contributor

I was in Whole Foods yesterday and saw that they has packaged cubed Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, and rough cut Sweet Potatoes together for roasting. It got me to thinking of possibly adding Rutabagas, Carrots, and/or Parsnips to the mix along with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I have also had Butternut Squash roasted with fennel, beets, and red onions as well. It was delicious.