Super Contributor

How do you make your green salad?

I love a fresh green salad, making one right now for lunch, and I'm always interested when invited to a person's house for lunch or dinner how they make their salad. It seems everyone does it a little bit different. Some throw in everything but the kitchen sink while others take a more minimalist approach. I suppose I make mine somewhere in between. Typically I use romaine lettuce (rarely use iceberg) and add some baby spinach or red leaf lettuce for variety. I like butter lettuce too. I add some chopped green onion, cucumber, tomato, and usually add some sliced mushrooms, although I serve those on the side if I'm preparing a salad for dinner guests since not everyone likes mushrooms. Sometimes I'll add some celery or carrot slices, or some zucchini if I have it on hand, but that's about it. I know some people add sliced egg, croutons and lots of veggies. I do love a nice chef salad for supper occasionally, especially on a hot summer night. So how do you make your salad? Do you make a Caesar salad or just basic mixed greens? Do you dress your salad or leave it plain and let people put their own dressing on it? Just curious.....

Super Contributor

Re: How do you make your green salad?

I like an interesting salad. Lots of heathy ingredients. Start with cut up iceberg, add spinach, kale, carrot, celery, broccoli and apple. I add raw walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, I add chia seeds, ground flax seed' lecithin granules, and brewers yeast. Top it with my favorite dressing. I love to add Greek feta cheese also.
Esteemed Contributor

I never go to any trouble, except when serving salad for company.

Today I simply had leaf lettuce that I tore, a little bit of roasted tomatoes and a grilled chicken tender. And I do enjoy a sprinkle of Wegman's Mighty Caesar.

Other times it's spinach, hard cooked egg, grated sharp Cheddar w/ Thousand Island.

For company, it depends on what meal we're having, and I'll choose a few accompanying raw vegetables, maybe a nut (loved sugared & spiced pecans in a salad). I always serve dressing on the side.

I don't know if this is/was anyone's custom, but when I was growing up, we always had the salad course last. Endive or even spring dandelion greens or some kind of lettuce. Always w/ oil & vinegar.

Honored Contributor

I make my salad different everyday. I usually use baby lettuce mix and sometimes romaine. Last nights salad had artichoke hearts, avocado, heirloom tomatoes, chopped peppadew with a sherry vinaigrette. Tonight the salad will have baby lettuce, dried cherries, avocado, feta cheese or goat cheese, balsamic/maple syrup dressing with toasted slivered almond on top.

I make my dressing to go with the ingredients in the salad.

Honored Contributor

I make different salads depending on what else I am serving.

If it's something rich like beef, I might have a simple salad of butter lettuce with a French vinaigrette and some snipped herbs.

We like to use fresh homegown tomatoes, greens and LOTS of basil leaves (almost like another green)... feta and a Greek vinaigrette.

Cobb salad makes a great main course...I like to snip in fresh dill when we are having chicken or fish.

I like to create salads differently every day.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually bring lunch to work every day and it's typically a big salad. Mine is always a tumble of what's in the cupboard and fridge. Starts with a mountain of mesclun or arugula topped with matchsticks of celery, fennel, carrots, roasted beets, apples, etc. On top of that I toss some bits of cheese, or a spoonful or two of humus, sometimes a bit of fish or a chopped up cooked veggie burger. Sometimes I throw in some nuts or some craisins. I alway mixed up olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some herbs. The entire thing is super filling and fun to eat!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Everyone's salads sound creative and delicious. There aren't many salads or ingredients I don't like.

Harpa it isn't unusual to serve the salad course last, it's typically a European thing. My mom was English and she would often eat her salad after dinner. I've done both depending on what the main meal was.

Honored Contributor

I buy the three heads of Organic Romaine in a bag, wash, dry and chop across, finely shave lots of red bell pepper, add a bunch of grated carrot, any herbs I have (we grow a lot of them), MAYBE some finely diced onion or not, throw in some small tomatoes, and that's about it for basic make it every week salad. I always make my own dressing--basic olive oil and sherry vinegar (or balsamic), dijon justard, maybe some honey or a tsp of sugar, garlic, salt and pepper and shake. I like a really tart dressing. Sometimes I use lemon juice too!

I get fancy for company, but the above is my basic one. Oh, sometimes I put celery in it too.

Super Contributor

On 10/3/2014 Harpa said:

I don't know if this is/was anyone's custom, but when I was growing up, we always had the salad course last. Endive or even spring dandelion greens or some kind of lettuce. Always w/ oil & vinegar.

We always had our salad course last, too! Jules is right--that's a European custom, and to this day I always eat my salad last!

I like to use Romaine hearts and/or red leaf lettuce, red, orange and yellow peppers, English cucumber, and tomatoes, sometimes with a sprinkling of cheese or shredded carrot, jarred 3 bean salad, and anything else that strikes my fancy. It's every man for himself as far as salad dressings--each to his own taste!

Respected Contributor

Salad at the end of the meal is actually Italian tradition. All other countries I visited and lived in serve it just like we do. When I have guests I serve it with other appetizers. My favorite salads are dimple. 1. Mixed greens or Romaine, Kirby cucumbers , Jersey tomatoes, onions, sweet bell peppers, little salt,pepper and virgin olive oil. 2. Kirby cucumbers ,scallions , radishes,curly lettuce, dill, little salt and souercream for dressing. This last one is so refreshing, guests love it.