Respected Contributor

Re: How do you get oven roasted vegetables crispy?

Parchment paper is my best friend. I use it for all sorts or cooking and baking. Makes clean up so easy too.

Super Contributor

I like to slice the potatoes pretty thin, about 1/8-1/4" slices. Add slivered onions, mushrooms, thin sliced carrots and whatever other vegetables you like. I line a long bake pan with tinfoil and spray it with Pam. Place vegetables on it. Drizzle a little olive oil over everything. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, oregano and bake the heck out of it -- @450 for 30-45 minutes, longer depending on your oven. Those come out crispy and so flavorful!

Honored Contributor

I don't use parchment but I do put my baking sheet in the oven when I heat it up to 450* and prepare my veggies then I dry them season them with whatever I feel like--usually a flavored salt and pepper, maybe add a small amount of olive oil and when my oven is ready I spray down the sheet with cooking spray, and turn the veggies onto it, spread them around and put them back in the oven. Check after 10 minutes of so then every 5 minutes if needed. The veggies are hit top and bottom with heat so no chance of steaming. Also--don't crowd them on the sheet leave plenty of room. I usually do two batches and they come out great. Maybe adding things like the squash a little later than the rest will help with the mushiness.

Valued Contributor

Some people like using parchment, which can help. I don't typically do this, but one thing I'm generally aware of is not drenching your veggies in too much oil. I think the instinct is that more is better when it comes to EVOO, but if you really only put on a few tablespoons, I think they turn out a bit crisper. Also, in my family we like them crispy and my DH likes them roasted "within an inch of their lives", so my temp is always about 450 degrees and I just keep an eye on them.

Valued Contributor

Also, keep in mind the water content of the veggies you're roasting. Squash is a bit juicier, so to speak, so you have to watch them. IME, they don't crisp up like other veggies, in fact, they stay kinda mushy, most of the time. Perhaps you would prefer them grilled, with nice grill marks??

Honored Contributor

I don't think I'd call the brown on my roasted vegetables crispy, per se. I want them browned and tender, not crispy.

I line my pan with foil so the veggies won't stick. I toss them in a little bit of oil and sprinkle them with salt and herbs. As Sidsmom mentioned, they can't be stacked up, they need a lot of space in the pan for them to roast instead of steam. Some things roast faster than others, so sometimes I'll start with things that take longer, like butternut squash, and then add faster roasting things (like garlic) after the squash has been in the oven for a while.

Regular Contributor

I have an old, much used Pampered Chef oven roasting cookie-sheet type pan (approx 10 x 16") and the high heat and olive oil in THIS roasting pan are perfect....you can use a spatula to move them around during the cooking process so as to get the "browning" on all sides...yummy!!!!

Regular Contributor

Not sure this would work for sweet potatoes, but you can take red potatoes not peeled, boil until tender but not mushy. Place on baking sheet and slightly mash down so the skin opens and the potatoes look like a disc. Lightly drizzle with oil (can use herb infused or garlic infused oils) salt and pepper and put in a really hot oven to crisp up.

I agree with others about a very hot oven and not a lot of oil. I like broccoli when the florets get dark (almost burnt) on the tips.

Super Contributor

I must have missed it, what's the himalayan pink salt all about? What's it do, where do you get it? Since I bought the RangeMate, I grill the vegetables, like them better than the roasted, altho roasted is so yummy, too.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks troll, good posts that I missed. Love vegetables....