Honored Contributor

How do you cook corn in a ceramic baker?

[ Edited ]

TT is pushing a new item - a corn on the cob cooking set for summer. I wonder how you are supposed to cook corn in a ceramic baker as I always either boil corn on the stovetop or on the grill. The little plates are nice though. Tara should offer a recipe card telling us how to use this item.She says it holds a dozen ears which I seriously doubt.

Regular Contributor

Re: How do you cook corn in a ceramic baker?

@151949 wrote:

TT is pushing a new item - a corn on the cob cooking set for summer. I wonder how you are supposed to cook corn in a ceramic baker as I always either boil corn on the stovetop or on the grill. The little plates are nice though. Tara should offer a recipe card telling us how to use this item.She says it holds a dozen ears which I seriously doubt.

I can't image its to actually cook in, just as a serving dish for the corn. 

Honored Contributor

$60 + tax for a dish to serve in ?

Honored Contributor

Yikes!  That's massively over-priced, especially for products that are improperly fired and - well - not easy on the eyes.  Smiley Wink

I also would do the corn in a pot of water on the stove, but I guess that's old hat, eh?  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I saw part of the presentation. It looked to me it was just a service piece and not to cook in, but I might be wrong.

Respected Contributor

I've not boiled corn in ages. I now nuke it. It's just hubby and me so I usually only cook three ears. I shuck it and place in a Pyrex dish. The recipe I saw said to add so many teaspoons/tablespoons of water...can't remember now how many. I've found it's not that critical on the measure. I put in three or four palm fulls of water from the tap. Then cover dish with saran wrap and peel the edge back just slightly. For my microwave I cook for 6 minutes, 30 seconds and it turns out just how we like it.

I've also been intrigued by the method where you microwave the corn with the husks still on. I've not tried it yet but one day I'm going to give it a go and see what I think. Supposedly, when finished cooking, you grab the husks and they slip off intact from the corn. Maybe someone else here will comment on that cooking method. 

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

I've not boiled corn in ages. I now nuke it. It's just hubby and me so I usually only cook three ears. I shuck it and place in a Pyrex dish. The recipe I saw said to add so many teaspoons/tablespoons of water...can't remember now how many. I've found it's not that critical on the measure. I put in three or four palm fulls of water from the tap. Then cover dish with saran wrap and peel the edge back just slightly. For my microwave I cook for 6 minutes, 30 seconds and it turns out just how we like it.

I've also been intrigued by the method where you microwave the corn with the husks still on. I've not tried it yet but one day I'm going to give it a go and see what I think. Supposedly, when finished cooking, you grab the husks and they slip off intact from the corn. Maybe someone else here will comment on that cooking method. 

When it's just the 2 of us, I nuke the corn in the husks.  I do 3 minutes for the first piece then add 2 minutes for each additional piece.  I let it set for 5 minutes or so because it's too hot to shuck.  My husband prefers it this way.

Honored Contributor

i LOVE that set!

i dont collect the floral lace or the old world though.....wish she had done a different design. that looks like a great casserole piece or for a large baked appetizer or side dish.

i really wanted the OTHER corn server that she offered a couple of years ago, but there were a lot of shipping problems with that piece because of its odd shape.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

When it's just the 2 of us, I nuke the corn in the husks.  I do 3 minutes for the first piece then add 2 minutes for each additional piece.  I let it set for 5 minutes or so because it's too hot to shuck.  My husband prefers it this way.

Hey @lulu2. Thanks for the info. I am going to try this method the next time. I really hate shucking corn so this would eliminate that step. I would never have believed the microwave method I mentioned above if I hadn't finally tried it. Who Knew? 

Esteemed Contributor

It's so easy to cook in the microwave it's hard to imagine using this dish. It is pretty though and from the description it's meant for cooking corn (or whatever you want).

Product description ~

Cook up some corn in this oval lidded baker and serve it up on oval plates. Corn-shaped holders make it easier to hold the cob. From Temp-tations(R) Ovenware.

• Includes oval 2.5-qt baker with lid and storage cover, four oval plates, and eight corn holders