Honored Contributor

Re: How do you clean your old-school cast iron pans?

I am not a fan.  I love Le Creuset if you don't burn the food onto it, use it the way it should be, and soak a little and everything slicks right out.

If you use a LC grill pan, immediately when you take the food out pour in very hot water and let it sit until ready to clean and it works great.

Sorry but anything you don't scrub out or wash out with soap is a no-go for me. 

Honored Contributor

I use soap and water and never scrub.  I have had mine for years.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

If you want to use extra gentle soap like baby shampoo, it's perfectly ok.  

Nonstick was speaking of fried chicken, cornbread and the like.  Never an egg as people used to think; the pans hold too much heat.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I have several LC pots and pans and I love them, but some things just turn out better for me in the plain cast iron.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I recommend looking up the Lodge Cast iron website for detailed instructions.  lodgecastiron.com

Step 1

Wash

Wash your cast iron cookware by hand. You can use a small amount of soap. If needed, use a pan scraper for stuck on food. For stubborn, stuck-on food, simmer a little water for 3-5 minutes, then use the scraper after the pan has cooled.

Step 2

Dry

Dry promptly and thoroughly with a lint-free cloth or paper towel. If you notice a little black residue on your towel, it's just seasoning and is perfectly normal.

Step 3

Oil

Rub a very light layer of cooking oil onto the surface of your cookware. Use a paper towel to wipe the surface until no oil residue remains.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

I've had my cast iron skillet for more than 40 years. It's never seen a bubble of anything. Only hot water and a good scrub sponge

Esteemed Contributor

Depending on what was cooked, just wipe or use hot water.  Usually dry on a burner.

I keep a eye on the state of the exterior too.  Can get crusty if neglected.

Honored Contributor

don't

I threw those old heavy rust buckets away.

Respected Contributor

I don't really use them anymore but when I did, I just could not do the "no wash" thing.  I washed with soap and then put oil on a paper towel and wiped it all over before storing.

Honored Contributor

I mostly just use mine for cornbread and grlled cheese.  Generally, I just wipe it out with a paper towel.  I have on occasion needed to use a scraper.  I use a plastic one that came for my pizza stone.  And then I would use a little Dawn and water.  Dry.  Never had a problem with rust.