Honored Contributor

How do you clean your old-school cast iron pans?

I have a huge Lodge cast iron pan. I usually scrape it clean and rinse it with water, no soap.  My son says I should just wipe it clean.. no water or soap.  This sounds very unsanitary to me. 

How do you clean yours?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you clean your old-school cast iron pans?

@house_cat wrote:

I have a huge Lodge cast iron pan. I usually scrape it clean and rinse it with water, no soap.  My son says I should just wipe it clean.. no water or soap.  This sounds very unsanitary to me. 

How do you clean yours?

I do both, depending on what i have cooked,  i use paper towels t wipe clean, when i need to wash ,i use a special soap for cast iron.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Okay, this is news to me. I had no idea there was a special soap for cast iron.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I try not to wash with any water and definitely not soap,  Reason being, I think they can cause it to rust.

If you must wash it:  After, apply t a thin layer of oil and put it on the stove burner on low for 15 minutes to ensure it dries through. 

Cast iron cooking is all about seasoning the pan and cooking with fat.  I had heard over the years about seasoing the pan with the oven and brown paper bags etc.  but when I got mine, I followed the advice on the Lodge website.  

It might not be sanitary but-- heat kills germs, right?  lol

Honored Contributor

At one time I swore by them, as many do, but more recently, I've phased them out. They're too heavy, too clunky, hard to store and I just prefer a lighter weight with a non-stick surface.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I wipe mine clean. I have certain iron skillets for specific tasks. One for cornbread, another for fried potatoes. I do not cook anything sticky or messy in my iron skillets. They are old, old from my grandmother, mother, and my early marriage years. They are mostly black from use.

I do reseason skillets the minute they show any tendency toward sticking or if I have to wash them.

Honored Contributor

Hot water with a drop of dishsoap---rinse well and dry right away and wipe down with some  cooking oil---- easy peasy--nothing fancy!

Honored Contributor

Not sure what is "old school" about cast iron but I have 2 & I use them both regularly.   I like being able to use metal utensils.   These pans will outlive me unlike non-stick pans.

I always wash my pans, sometimes I even soak them.   But I always finish with a very light coat of cooking oil.   When I pull one out to cook, I heat the pan using again either a very light coating of oil or if I'm doing a fry, just add in the amount of oil necessary.

Whatever method your son believes is correct, let him be in charge of pans.   He'll change his tune

Honored Contributor

I wipe clean with a paper towel.  

Respected Contributor

I had my great grandmother's cast iron but recently bequeathed it to my SIL.  It was too heavy, and I had a hard time cooking in it at the right temperature.  She was thrilled to get it.