Super Contributor

Re: How do I keep various types of berries for a few days?

i agree with ennui

Regular Contributor

This may take up much-needed space in the fridge, but if you lay them out in ONE layer on a cookie sheet rather than stacked on top of each other like they come packed, they'll last for several days. As others have posted, don't wash until you're ready to use.

Occasional Contributor

I purchase large amounts of berries..I use the vinegar method, the vinegar kills the mold that is present on berries . I fill a bowl with cold water and about 2 to 3 cups of white vinegar and stir them around and let them set for about 10 min. I then rinse cold water and lay them single layer on a towel or paper towels till completely dry, then I place a paper towel in my green bag and lay them in the green bags trying not to over crowd them and I place the bag in the frig and I leave the top open for air flow. If the paper towel gets damp in a few days I change it, this method works well for me and I can keep berries of all kinds blue,ras,strawberries easily two weeks.

Trusted Contributor

I always thought too that we shouldn't wash and cut until ready to use but my mother proved me wrong. She washes and hulls her strawberries, then puts them in a glass container with a glass lid in the fridge. They stay fresh and crisp for DAYS! I was stunned. She says it's the glass vs plastic thing. I have now used my Temptations stoneware with stoneware lids and they work well too. I'm sure the mason jars with vacuum sealing also work.

KJPA
Honored Contributor

If I'm not going to use them immediately, I put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I set them in the sink with white vinegar then let them drain in a towel and refrigerate and they last way way longer. I also store them with a papertowel

Regular Contributor

I set them in the sink with white vinegar then let them drain in a towel and refrigerate and they last way way longer. I also store them with a papertowel

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much. I knew you bloggers would not what to do!

RE