Trusted Contributor

Re: How are this year's Honeybells?

Oh goodness, If it makes YOU feel better: The gentlemen vendor from the Honeybell grove.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2014 gkelly5744 said:
Ford122401/03/2014 at 10:01 AM6592 Posts
Registered 3/25/2012Medford, NJ

Be careful with Honeybells! They are a combination of grapefruit and tangerines.

Grapefruit is a no-no with many meds. Research about the interaction of grapefruit juice with drugs suggests that compounds in grapefruit juice, called furanocoumarins (or bergamottin), may be responsible for the effects of grapefruit juice. Researchers believe that furanocoumarins block the enzymes in the intestines that normally break down many drugs.

--==================================

HTH

Title: One tangerine/grapefruit hybrid (tangelos) contains trace amounts of furanocoumarins at a level too low to be associated with grapefruit/drug interactions

Author

Submitted to: Journal of Food Science
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: April 11, 2005
Publication Date: May 4, 2005

Citation: Widmer, W.W. 2005. One tangerine/grapefruit hybrid (tangelos) contains trace amounts of furanocoumarins at a level too low to be associated with grapefruit/drug interactions. Journal of Food Science. 70:C419-C422. Interpretive Summary:Many medical prefessionals are recommending to patients that they do not consume grapefruit when taking certain drugs (like statin drugs including Lipitor and Zocor) due to compounds in grapefriut that prevent breakdown of these drugs. Tangerine and tangelo fruit contain grapefriut parentage and, therefore, could also possibly contain compounds that interact with drugs. These citrus relatives of grapefruit were tested and found not to contain drug-interactive compounds.

Technical Abstract: Tangelos are citrus hybrids with grapefruit and tangerine parentage and are a significant crop in Florida, marketed as specialty fruit. Because tangelos contain genetic material from grapefruit, there is the question of whether they contain furanocoumarins and exhibit an interaction with the same drugs associated with the grapefruit/drug interaction.

Authentic samples of 12 commercially grown tangelos and 2 nonhybrid tangerine varieties grown in Florida were obtained and screened for furanocoumarin monomer and dimer content. None of the tangelos or tangerines tested were found to contain any furanocoumarins. This presents evidence the commercial tangerine and tangelo varieties grown in Florida are unlikely to cause any interaction with the drugs affected by grapefruit.

Glad to hear this. Thanks for posting.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

It's like everything in life.....moderation. Be sure to wash off the outside of the Honeybells before you eat them or cut into them. Think about it...you peel or slice into them. They are all treated with some kind of chemicals.

You'd be surprised how people don't think of this.

I buy them and give them to friends and people who help me during the year. People like the friends at the banks (I still go to the bank a few times a week), the UPS man and the Postman if I can catch them.

They are happy to get one and to know I am appreciative of how they do little things for me during the year. I also give them the individually wrapped cookies from QVC and the individually wrapped brownies from HSN.

Little things mean a lot to others. Some people say, "My children love these things. I'll take it home to them". I love it.

Again, moderation!

Respected Contributor

12 replies and yet NO answer to the original OP's question............amazing!

and mine is 13, sorry, I did not order

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/4/2014 physicsnut said:
On 1/3/2014 lacey1 said:

I heard the old man say that if you ordered them when they were TSV, you would get them on Friday. I know there were a lot of problems with last year's crop. Has anyone gotten them, yet?

"old" man. Really?? Be more respectful.

I agree, if you dont know his name you could just say the vendor or gentleman that pesented them.

Trusted Contributor

Anyway, can anyone answer the original question?

Super Contributor

I did not order from the Q. Ordered from Gregory's Grove. Was told that they will start their shipments out next week. I suppose this will be the same with the Q orders, but not sure....

Valued Contributor

make it 14, FYI, the other vendor on the other channel is having a BOGO on certain items until the 7th, I think

Occasional Contributor

I hope they are better then the ones I got last year, one whole box was spoiled, QVC gave me my money back, the 2nd box didn't come from Fl, they came from Arizona and didn't taste like Honeybells at all, I'm about done with them.In fact the box said tangelos, too me that is false advertising.

Respected Contributor

On 1/5/2014 Glitz said:

I hope they are better then the ones I got last year, one whole box was spoiled, QVC gave me my money back, the 2nd box didn't come from Fl, they came from Arizona and didn't taste like Honeybells at all, I'm about done with them.In fact the box said tangelos, too me that is false advertising.

Two bad boxes and you still ordered more?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I tried them once and was not impressed. They were not juicy at all and they want bad quickly.