Frequent Contributor

Re: How are this year's Honeybells?

I got mine directly from Cushman's last year which were especially good. Can't remember how many pounds - but got alot.

Ordered Western Honeybells from Cushman's in late February - and they were equally as good.

I ordered 3 - 12lb weekender crates this years.

I do share

Super Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Peggs said:

I got mine directly from Cushman's last year which were especially good. Can't remember how many pounds - but got alot.

Ordered Western Honeybells from Cushman's in late February - and they were equally as good.

I ordered 3 - 12lb weekender crates this years.

I do share

I was tempted last year to order the western honeybells but shyed away being it was my first year.

I am bumping this up because I am still waiting on my delivery from my auto-delivery from last year. I am curious to see what the crop is like this year.

Respected Contributor

My honeybell order arrived yesterday and I enjoyed my first piece today. It was mild and very juicy. No tartness whatsoever, but plenty of sweetness. Several segments had one or two seeds, which aren't a problem for me. I am very happy with this year's crop, but I can honestly say I've never been disappointed in the Cushman's honeybells.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

I want to hear reviews too. They won't ship to my state so I wasn't tempted. I have been buying Halos & am fine with the taste & the price.

Respected Contributor

I live in SW Florida and the Cushman's are raised at about the same parallel...it was a nasty, rainy summer here in the South. So much produce was super huge-but the taste was so watered down because of the rain. It was abysmal.......if Cushman's is so sweet, were they covering trees to prevent extraneous water absorption????? How could their fruit be so sweet as they claim it is? Juiciness would not be a problem, but taste???? I'm am amateur when it comes to weather, but trying to buy locally-as often as I can-and I do- I can't help but wonder if somebody is not injecting their fruit with a little sugar....this was such a wet summer-I just don't see how these little fruits could possibly be so sweet with all of the rain-and we've lived in Florida for 12 years........

Poodlepet

Occasional Contributor

I just received my order today (I live in central NY state). I ordered them this year, when they were a TSV, so it wasn't an autoship from last year. They arrived on time. However, most of the honeybells look horrible, very marred. The included note says this is normal...the many pits and scars do not look normal. They are gifts, so I haven't tried them. Hope they taste better than they look.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/17/2014 yellowsunshine98 said:

I just received my order today (I live in central NY state). I ordered them this year, when they were a TSV, so it wasn't an autoship from last year. They arrived on time. However, most of the honeybells look horrible, very marred. The included note says this is normal...the many pits and scars do not look normal. They are gifts, so I haven't tried them. Hope they taste better than they look.

I have ordered honeybells many times over the years (for a friend who loves them). I've ordered them from Hales and a couple of other Indian River groves. Some years they taste better than other years. But I have never seen any with skins as marred and pitted as these.

Contributor

Received my order today directly from Cushman's. Only ate one so far and it was sweet and juicy! They are about the size of a naval orange. I saw somewhere people saying theirs were small, so I was happy mine are medium to large. All of mine look good - a few blemishes but nothing major.

Super Contributor

I received my Honeybells today. This was the first time I've ever bought them on QVC. Mine came packed 12 per box, so they are each a good size. I could feel that each was heavy too. I ate one and it was just as juicy as shown on TV. My hands were covered with juice. The one I had was sweet too.

As for the look of them, the skins do have some random marks. That really doesn't matter to me. It's what's inside that counts and these Honeybells are delicious.

Regular Contributor

I received my honey bells and they're sweet as sugar. The only thing is they have a lot of pits, and are smaller than they have been in the past.