Honored Contributor

How about grinding egg shells in the Vitamix?

I've saved a bunch for compost use, and it occurred to me powder would spread better.  I'm just wondering if there is any chance that powder could get into the motor. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How about grinding egg shells in the Vitamix?

Sure I would. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I did this in my old regular blender. It worked really well, but I had to add water.  I should try it dry in my Ninja. I have also just kept out a bowl to collect the shells, let them dry and crush with my gloved hands. I do it to keep slugs away.

Respected Contributor

Grind away!

Honored Contributor

Its nice to know someone else is doing this.  I thought I was a little off.  DH hasn't even seen my "stash." 

Respected Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

I did this in my old regular blender. It worked really well, but I had to add water.  I should try it dry in my Ninja. I have also just kept out a bowl to collect the shells, let them dry and crush with my gloved hands. I do it to keep slugs away.

I am going to try this for slugs next spring!!

Respected Contributor

Why not.

I'm enjoying mine. A great purchase. I can't believe it heats up soup and freezes sorbet. How does it know? (This was an old joke: "My Thermos! It keeps hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold! How does it know?)

Super Contributor

I don't do it all the time, but when I have a big bunch of banana peels and egg shells I grind them-with some water- in my Vitamix.  I pour this liquid around my rose bushes.  It hasn't hurt my machine and I know it's good for the plants.

Valued Contributor

I did it and it worked great!

Trusted Contributor

And this is why the Vitamix gets rave reviews. If it can grind banana peels without breaking a sweat, it can do just about anything, and keep doing it for decades. It's great to know that sometimes, you really do get what you pay for!