Honored Contributor

Re: How Spicey Do You Like Food?

[ Edited ]

I like spicy hot food but I have to stay away from it because it exacerbates my broken capillaries on my face. Hot pepper (capsaicin) is a vasodilator.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Interesting topic! I grew up PA German and was used to roast beef and mashed potatoes, However, we have been very fortunate in that we had neighbors who introduced us to authentic Italian, Portuguese and other cuisines that used garlic as a spice.Then our son started traveling the world and brought home Indonesian, Thai, North African, Indian and other recipes that used warm and HOT spices. If I'm having Thanksgiving, no really spicy things. If I'm making wings, Tikka Masala, mussels fra diavolo, etc. then Yes!

Trusted Contributor

most people season with salt & pepper, I season with red pepper flakes & pepper.

I Like Spicy!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom I would have loved to have the variety of foods you were able to experience!  How fortunate you have been!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love spicy Thai cuisine, @ECBG,  and that can be super HOT.  But I teeter on the edge of acid reflux, so don't indulge now, boo hoo.

Esteemed Contributor

The hotter the better.  What most people consider hot, I think it has a little kick to it but it's certainly not hot.  Years ago I was at Bdubs and ordered wings with the hottest sauce they had.  The waiter asked me if I had had it before. When I told him No, he said they make a person try it first.  They brought me some to try and it had some heat but certainly wasn't "HOT".  When the server brought the wings, he said "OK, who is the crazy person who ordered the wings with our hottest sauce".  He actually acted like he was afraid to touch the plate.  I was a little offended by what he said but didn't let it bother me.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can only tolerate zero spice - as in, none at all.  Personally I think salt is spicy.  My husband loves spicy foods.  

ETA - I do like a little garlic.  But that is where I draw the line.

Trusted Contributor

I like my food so spicey it makes my face turn purple.🥵 The trouble is my stomach no longer likes it. One more thing I’ve had to give up in the golden years. @EatWell Have a hot one for me! 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I can handle mild heat.  I love the flavor of horeseradish and when I can feel it clearing out my sinuses.  Heat should add it's own gift to the food, not overwhelm.

Honored Contributor

Bring on the heat for my food as well as taking a shower.  I want to feel the heat inside and outside my body. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."